• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I recover layers in Photoshop after saving as a TIFF?

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have edited a TIFF file in Photoshop, and then saved it, but forgot to save it as a PSD. Is there any way I can get the layers back?

Please help.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, no way if you wrote over the original and you didn't allow the TIFF to save with layers (which is an option). 

TIFF supports layers like PSD and in fact, just about anything a PSD supports, so does TIFF. Did you check that this TIFF doesn't contain layers? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response. I just clicked on Save, not Save As. I checked, and the TIFF didn't have the layers. I saved the file as a JPEG as well, and that mentioned saving layers, but I thought that JPEGs don't keep layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JPEG, no layers possible.

TIFF, layers are possible.

http://digitaldog.net/files/TIFFvsPSD.pdf

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh okay, I thought so. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you saved the TIFF with layers, then no. Since PS honors the original TIFF's settings that is unlikely unless you did a Save As.... That being the case you may need to start over again, though at least you may be able to recover some of the finished work from the TIFF by adding it as a separate layer on top of the unprocessed original.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. I'm happy with how I edited the photo, so I wanted to apply the edits to other photos. I was going to look at the settings to see the exact settings and filters I used, but from what you say that won't be possible. I think I'll just have to start again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines