• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I resize multiple selections at once without moving them? Shrink-contract

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I have a spritesheet like this one

sprite-sheet-png-free-6.png

And I need all images to be smaller, but without changing their positions.

So far I know how to select them with the magic wand on a blank space, and inverse selection.

After that, I would need to shrink them. The tool "select -> modify -> contract" does exactly what I need, but it does only change the selection, and does not resize the image. I can't use "transform scale" because it moves all images, and I need them to keep their positions.

How can I do this? Thanks!

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Right now, I can only think of a way to scale them at once and keep them in their respective locations by using Illustrator.

If your sprites are on separate layers and your file saved as a PSD (if not, then use Photoshop to select each sprite and place them on separate layers while maintaining the transparent background and save the file as a PSD), then I would recommend doing the following:

1. Open the PSD in Illustrator
  2. In the Photoshop Import Options dialog, make sure Convert Layers to Object

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's something I found in a quick three second web search:

https://blog.darkwark.com/transformEach21/

You may still need to tweak your layers manaully, though, since the bounding boxes for each of your alien's animation phases will be different. Otherwise that may be easily doable in whatever game engine you use after they've been loaded. For future work you may want to creatively use PS frame animation placing the character in a single cell and build your sprite sheet from the exported frames.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Thanks for your response! I would love to know what did you type in the "search" because I don't know how to actually search this question (I've been at it for quite a while). Sadly that script won't execute as it has constructor and typing errors (at least that's what my PS version says when trying to open it, that is Cs6 which is theorically supported). Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now, I can only think of a way to scale them at once and keep them in their respective locations by using Illustrator.

If your sprites are on separate layers and your file saved as a PSD (if not, then use Photoshop to select each sprite and place them on separate layers while maintaining the transparent background and save the file as a PSD), then I would recommend doing the following:

1. Open the PSD in Illustrator
  2. In the Photoshop Import Options dialog, make sure Convert Layers to Objects is selected
  3. Select all
  4. Go to Object > Transform > Transform Each
  5. In the Transform Each dialog, set the percentage of the scale that you want to apply (keep the registration point in the center)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for the instructions! It's a submission from a Fiverr artist (that is unresponsive to changes), so it's in PNG format, with 432 frames, so it will take me a while to test this, but I will definetly follow your steps.

Thanks again for your time! This is most probably what will do it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Pau27663459nmq0 wrote:

it's in PNG format

You may already know this, but just in case: PNG does not support layers, so save it as a tiff or psd first in case there are further edits, then save a copy as a png.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Will do! Thanks for the suggestion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines