• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I best extract the next picture and have it on a white background?

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have close whitey colors for a product and for a background. I need to have the product on a white background but I cannot find the best way to do it. Can someone help me?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks like a job for the Pen tool. Unfortunately, the background doesn't lend itself to an easy solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly? Your best bet is to reshoot the product on a colored background -- like a greenscreen. Then you can quickly isolate the product and change the backdrop to whatever color you want. Trying to shoot white on white is an exercise in frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

green isn't any better as you'll have to deal with all the color contamination. And it really doesn't matter in the long run, as any choice of background will still need to be pathed out if you want a clean mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Properly lit green screen setup would avoid spill on the object, so selecting the background would be very easy. The importnat thing is to have a contrast between object and background. Even if you wind up drawing a path it's good to be able to see the edges easily; shooting white on white could make that problematic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don' think there's a way to completely avoid contamination. Even colored walls outside the frame can do that. There's reflected light everywhere, especially if you use soft light sources.

That said, it may not be a big problem as long as the subject is strictly monochrome, then it should be much easier to target and compensate.

Greenscreen works for video where there's usually no requirement for critical technical quality. The criteria for product photography are much stricter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Look closely at the original here. Does this look like someone who has space and $ for creating a proper green screen studio? And you're kinda wrong about white on white too. While there might be a few sections that become slightly difficult to see, pathing isn't ever an issue there since the product is 100% predictable geometry, and you could always toss a curve on top if you wanted to increase contrast. I've masked out thousands upon thousands of white on white product over the years and it's never an issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is all about lighting and setting up the shoot. That's where it pays to spend time, not in front of Photoshop. You're in for two days of work just on this shot, whereas you could have fixed the setup physically in thirty minutes, with very little Photoshop required afterwards.

First of all, that background can't be used. It's textured and wrinkled. Not only does that leave no choice but full masking - but it also makes the masking process extremely difficult. No selection tools will work on this. You have to use the pen tool.

I'd be careful about greenscreen and colored backgrounds. It can be very tricky to remove the color casts and reflected light later. Again, unnecessary time and work. Stay neutral.

With a clean white background, evenly lit with soft light sources, no masking should be necessary at all. Just pull the white point globally so that the background really hits pure white. In addidition, you also get natural soft shadows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with the others, correct this at shooting time is best but if that is impossible, be prepared to spend a few minutes with the pen tool to create a vector mask. It's a simple shape so shouldn't take long:

2022-03-12_17-09-23.jpg

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/drawing-pen-tools.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your time!

I am really gratefull for this community!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many "clipping path" services in developing countries who can be contracted to perform such services on multiple images if you don't have the time, patience, experience etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines