• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I change the Shortcut for "merge a copy of all visible layers into target layer"?

New Here ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I change the Shortcut for "merge a copy of all visible layers into target layer"? I can't find it in the list of shortcut for PScc 2019.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

laurew22301508  wrote

How do I change the Shortcut for "merge a copy of all visible layers into target layer"? I can't find it in the list of shortcut for PScc 2019.

I think people might be missing your point.  The shortcut to make a copy merged layer is Shift Ctrl Alt E.  When there is an existing shortcut, it should make it easy to find and change, because you scroll through the Edit > Shortcut list looking for commands that have shortcuts.   That shortcut does not appear though

So the way this

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a reason you want to do this? You could assign it to an action with a hot key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm not too knowledgeable and do not know how to do that either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

This may help you, regarding actions:

Create actions in Adobe Photoshop

To assign a function key, select your action in the actions panel and double click in the space to the right of the action name. A dialogue will open with a box to choose the function key.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. The "Merge Layers" shortcut is Cmd/Ctrl + E and you add Option/Alt for create a copy, so you can change the shortcut for the "Merge Layers" command and again, add Option/Alt.

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is link to download action Stamp layers.atn - Google Drive  which will select top most visible layer and "stamp" layers or to merge all visible layers on a single layer.

To assign keyboard shortcut do the following:

• Double click on the right side of Stamp visible layers actions
  • From the Function key drop down select function key which you want to use to play action (this is a must) then check Shift or Ctrl or both optionally.

stamp visible layers.png

If you have any problem just let me (us) know.

And by the way, there isn't shortcut in the default keyboard shortcuts to change it, this is extra shortcut for which you can not change keys in the Keyboard Shortcuts and Menus dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

laurew22301508  wrote

I think people might be missing your point.  The shortcut to make a copy merged layer is Shift Ctrl Alt E.  When there is an existing shortcut, it should make it easy to find and change, because you scroll through the Edit > Shortcut list looking for commands that have shortcuts.   That shortcut does not appear though

So the way this must work is that Shift Ctrl E for merging visible layers, is applying the universal 'Copy' when you add the Alt key.   This makes it more difficult to rationalize the long Shift Ctrl Alt E shortcut because there is no entry to apply it to.

As the others have said, you can use an action.  I had some concerns about this though, because Copy merged has some limitations, primarily that it won't work if you have a layer selected and that layer is turned off.  So I tested the action and it works fine.  If you have no layers selected, it adds a copy merged layer to the top of the stack.  If you have a turned off layer selected, it gives you an error message so you know to either unselect that layer, or turn it on.

I did try recording the action again, this time unselecting all layers before using Shift Ctrl Alt E, but this time it didn't work at all.

I suspect that the bottom line here is none of this forums regular posters have ever bothered, or even thought about, using anything other than the full shortcut to add a copy merged layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU SO MUCH for this:

"Edit > Shortcut list looking for commands that have shortcuts.   That shortcut does not appear though. So the way this must work is that Shift Ctrl E for merging visible layers, is applying the universal 'Copy' when you add the Alt key.   This makes it more difficult to rationalize the long Shift Ctrl Alt E shortcut because there is no entry to apply it to."

I thought I was losing my mind trying to find it. The standard shortcut stopped working and I neede to reassign it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines