• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I disable 'commit the type layer edits before saving' when I edit text in Photoshop 22.4.3

Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2021 Aug 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just upgraded to photoshop 2022 and am going nuts having to confirm ''commit the type layer edits before saving'' before saving the file whenever I've made changes to text. I don't need this extra time waster. If I didn't want the text changed I wouldn't have changed it...  If I changed it by accident, CTRL z or history tab easily rolls back.

I've combed through preferences and settings and can't see anywhere to disable this.. Please tell me it's possible to make it go awat? 😞

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

So far I seem to be unable to reproduce the issue so what changes are you talking about exactly? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't get that here on Windows. Whether I commit the text or not, saving does not give me that warning.

Have you tried resetting preferences?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... having to confirm ''commit the type layer edits before saving'' before saving the file whenever I've made changes to text.😞

By @GreedyBrat

File > Save does not bring up this dialog for me on the Mac in PS 2021, so I can't reproduce it either.

If you have edited text and have not cancelled or committed the type, then you should get this message when you choose File > Close and haven't saved yet. (That's not what you said you are doing.) For troubleshooting purposes, can you check to see if the options bar still has the check and cancel buttons available when you get the alert?

janee_1-1628430568773.png

Can you tell us the file type you are using in case that makes a differnence?

I've just upgraded to photoshop 2022

Is 2022 a typo? The current version is 2021.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, yes, 2022 was a typo...

I have a graphic with a text layer over the top.. I edit the wording of the text then Shift Ctrl S to 'save as' and am prompted with
'commit the type layer edits before saving' and need to confirm before the save window pops up.

Windows 10 platform and latest version of PS. I'm using .psd files for editing.

Yes, options bar does still have check and cancel buttons when alert pops up. (see attached screenshot)

I'm at a loss having never seen this in previous versions and even googling returns no results other than to explain that commit is required when working with smart objects (which I'm not).

I'd prefer not to reset preferences if possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"then Shift Ctrl S to 'save as' and am prompted with ... 'commit the type layer edits before saving' "

By @GreedyBrat

Hi @GreedyBrat ,

Now that you have said you are using File > Save As (Ctrl+Shift+S) and not File > Save (Ctrl+S), I have tested again.

When the text has not been committed and I use Save As, I get the Alert as you said. With File > Save, I do not.

• Can you Commit your text before you use Save As? Methods include:
    - click the checkbox
    - click outside the image area (Type tool is fine)
    - switch tools
    - press Numeric keypad Enter
    - press Ctrl+Enter

When you do Save As without doing Save first, the original PSD stays in the last saved state and will not be the same as the new file with Save As. Do you want the two files to be the same or different? These two methods will bypass the Alert if you have skipped committing the test:

• If you want both files to be the same, do Ctrl+S followed by Ctrl+Shift+S
  • If you want them to be different, do the Save As before you add your text, then Save afterwards

I can't honestly tell you if this alert appeared or not in previous versions when you used Save As and skipped the step to commit the text, because ever since text was live text and not pixels on the current layer, I have always used Commit.

I'm on a Mac, so the Windows users might test this with Save As instead on Save.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can tell it is new functionality. I've certainly never seen it appear in other versions when I use this workflow (which is a process I've been using for 8 years or more.

😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey!
I found a solution to this problem.
Adobe added a new type of save in the new version. As a result, there are three of them:
• Save
• Save as
• Save as copy

If you save with Save as copy (Alt + Ctrl + S), then the changes in the text layer are applied automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines