• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I do a full purge of Photoshop and make a clean re-install?

Participant ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had Photoshop on my computer for a few years without issue. Recently, however, for no clear reason, it has been having problems. I'm using version 24.0.1 on Windows 11 on a Surface Pro 6 laptop.

Problem one is that in Windows Explorer, if I right click on a JPG, PNG, or other image files, the menu that appears shows "photoshop.exe" with a default executable file icon. If I click to select Photoshop, nothing happens.

Untitled-1.jpg

I have tried changing the settings for what default apps open image files, and I even tried editing the registry, but nothing has changed.

Problem two is that the workspace is not faulty. The "Layers" tab is all the way at the bottom right hand of my screen, and is not easily moved into view. Even if I try to edit and safe different workspaces, this inconvenient workspace will always be what appears the next time I restart Photoshop.

photoshop_interface_problem.png

Lastly, the third problem is that sometimes the tools become unusable. I can select a pen or move tool or whatever, but can't actually use them on the canvas.

In short, it seems my installation of Photoshop has become unstable. My installation of Illustrator is working perfectly, this problem seems to be just Photoshop.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop using the Adobe Creative Cloud app, but this did not help. I selected to not keep any settings, but when I re-installed, everything was exactly the same as it was before.

How do I remove Photoshop thoroughly so that all registry settings and/or any and all other relevant configurations can be purged and I can be sure I am starting fresh?

[The word "not" has strikethrough to indicate deletion as per subsequent post.]

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

The main two problems described in this post have solutions in different threads.

The solution to the problem of Photoshop not opening image files can be found here.

The solution to the problem of Photoshop layouts not displaying correctly can be found here.

The third problem of tools becoming unusable seems to have been solved by uninstalling all Adobe Products, using the Adobe Cleaner Tool, and then re-installing. Though it should be noted that this problem was unpredictable in any case, so it's

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to edit the original question.

The sentence "Problem two is that the workspace is not faulty" should read as "Problem two is that the workspace is faulty."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2022 Dec 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You can use the Adobe Cleaner Tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, that did not solve the problem. After running the Adoble Cleaner and selecting to purge all Adobe products entirely, all the Adoble file folders and settings files remained, as did all registry entries. When I reinstalled Adobe Photoshop. the same problems returned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Addition to my comment above. I attempted another clean purge of Adobe products. After uninstalling all products using the creative cloud app, and then using the Adobe Cleaner tool (which I had to run 3 times before it had no errors), I then ran a search for all Adobe related files on my system.

There were 3 GB(!) worth of files and folders, even after supposedly "cleaning" my system with the tool.

I deleted all Adobe related files, and also attempted a clean of Adobe references from my registry using a 3rd party software.

I then rebooted, cleaned all temp files, and rebooted again.

I then reinstalled Adobe Photoshop.

All the problems reported in my original post returned. I now think this is some kind of software bug and not merely a settings problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The main two problems described in this post have solutions in different threads.

The solution to the problem of Photoshop not opening image files can be found here.

The solution to the problem of Photoshop layouts not displaying correctly can be found here.

The third problem of tools becoming unusable seems to have been solved by uninstalling all Adobe Products, using the Adobe Cleaner Tool, and then re-installing. Though it should be noted that this problem was unpredictable in any case, so it's not sure if it's definitely been solved, or it just hasn't returned yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines