• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get a gradient stroke applied to a group to align to the group?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I apply a stroke with a gradient to a group in such a way that both extremes of the gradient are visible (without the group having to be the size of the canvas)? I'm guessing the "Align with Layer" checkbox is related to this, but I can't get it to work for groups.

Here's a quick video of me moving an effect from a layer to a group. I can't get the group-effect to work the same as the layer-effect. https://gfycat.com/smoothuntriedelephantbeetle

Using Windows 11 Pro, tried both Photoshop 2022 and 2023.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I can understand your question then the only way that comes to my mind is using layer mask applied to group and layer effects applied to group too. For layer mask use selection from transparency created using shape (Ctrl + click on shape to load selection). Is that what you want or I do not understand? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As a workaround you can convert the Group to a Smart Object before applying the Gradient Overlay. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines