Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

How do I get rid of the welcome/splash screen and selective tool in Photoshop 21.0 startup?

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to Photoshop CC 21.0, and can find no way to disable the splash screen and Selective Tool at startup.  How can I fix this permanently?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In previous versions it was in Preferences > General > Disable the Home Screen.

I haven't upgraded to the latest version yet, sorry.

Nancy O'Shea, Adobe Product User & Community Professional
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS 21 screen 1.pngPS 21 screen 2.pngI get this screen at startup after the splash screen, then the one below showing preferences popup.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop 2020 the home workspace can not be disabled that preferences was removed, However, there is an Photoshop Preference option  to Auto show it. you can uncheck . However it can be toggled on with the Home Icon on the tool option bar. If you do toggle it on remembers to toggle it back off.  If you do not toggle it back off the  Home workspace will be displayed when you start Photoshop even when Auto Show the Home Screen is not checked.  Some of Photoshop Preferences are misleading because of the how the a Preference is worded.image.png

I have two displays this is how  PS 2020 opent foe me whey Homes screen is toggled off abd Auto Show the Home Sccen is unchecked in my Preferences.  You will not be able to read it for this site resizes screen captures to an unreadable size. But yoy shoule be ables to see the Home screen is not displayed.

image.png

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the Home workspace toggled off, and go directly to the Photography workspace.  I want to turn off the splash screen.  Also I have this little panel called the Selective Tool that comes up at startup.  What is it and how do I get it to not popup?  It seems every time there's a new release of software things regress and become more difficult to use, or weird stuff pops up with no explanation.  I'm just learning PS, and stuff like this just seems to frustrate me more and more.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would need to Patch Adobe Photoshop Application not to display its Splash window starting up. Adobe Photoshop does not have an option for not displaying it or changing it.  Every version of Photoshop has had a  Splash screen.  If the past some users had posted patches for some photoshop versions to disable the  splash screen or change it.  

Have you installed any third Party Plug-in or Photoshop extension that add a Panel called Select Tool?  Or Added A Script event handler the open such a panel when Adobe Application Photoshop is started?  I only see the standard Tools Bar Panel Listed in my  Photoshop 2020.

image.png

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is plain vanilla PS, fresh from the download and install.  I have done no addins or extensions to it.  In fact this is the first I've tried using it even though I've had it with my subscription since 2014.  I'm not impressed.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which Photoshop version were you using previously?  A great deal has changed since the legacy Creative Suite days.

Nancy O'Shea, Adobe Product User & Community Professional
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you noticed at the start of this I said I haven't used it before, other than to fire it up after an upgrade or install.  This is getting ridiculous.  Regardless of wht has changed, no one seems to know why I get a popup of the "selective tool" when I start PS after the uparade/install.  Obviously there's a bug if I never did anything more than test fire it to see if PS would start.  I remember seeing older posts about getting rid of the splash screen, and that makes perfect sense since there's no splash screen for Lightroom.  Why that changed, or isn't avaailable is just another shortcoming.  It's painfully obvious that there are no "experts" in these forums, and that if I want to learn PS, I'll have to live with random popups and other distractions. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It's painfully obvious that there are no "experts" in these forums, and that if I want to learn PS, I'll have to live with random popups and other distractions."

Really, and you expect that statement is somehow helpful? The Adobe forums have some of the best professionals on Adobe applications available in the World!

Concerning the Selective Tool this is NOT an Adobe issue! You need to change that setting in the Nik Collection Selective Tool 'Settings' by going to PS File> Automate> Nik Collection Selective Tool as shown below.

Selective Tool.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As much as it offends you, itʼs true, Todd. Most of the responses misunderstand the question, and not one single person here has actually provided a correct answer to the Splash Screen question. It would be nice if these experts youʼre talking about could check in on occasion, because this question has been asked many times and the “experts” are not of any assistance.

Now that Iʼve solved it for myself, I will post post an answer below that actually works, since this thread has been waiting 2 years for an answer.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know Iʼm 2 years late, @Mike851, but I had the same problem with the annoying Splash Screen (NOT the Home Screen, for those who didnʼt undedrstand that distinction), and maybe this will help someone else get rid of it.

briantw_0-1630382876505.png

THIS is a Splash Screen

Mike, I see youʼre running Windows, so this is how to disable the Splash Screen in Windows 10:

Hit 'Start' then type in “photo” to bring up the Photoshop icon

briantw_1-1630383151736.png

Click on the down arrow below “Open” to expand that menu

briantw_2-1630383225047.png

Click on “Open file location.” This will bring up the appʼs shortcut location:

briantw_3-1630383269198.png

It may look different on your system, depending on your defaults, but whether itʼs an icon or a detailed list item, right click on it and select “Properties” at the bottom of the context menu:

briantw_4-1630383325475.png

In the “Target” box in the dialogue that comes up, you will need to add something to the end of the string of characters. Click in the “Target” box and hit the ‘End’ key and then ‘Space.’ Now, type:

-NoSplash

briantw_0-1630383813845.png

Then click on OK at the bottom. Voilà, Photoshop will no longer feel the need to monopolise a third of your screen with an ad while it takes 15 seconds to start in the background.

If you have the app pinned to your taskbar, youʼll need to do the same thing, starting with right-clicking on the appʼs icon and hitting “Properties.”

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Briantw

Most users realise the term written “experts” is mild contempt for armchair experts who really are not. Your explanation should not suggest inverted commers for Windows 10  users otherwise, and thanks for your obvious expertise, it works.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Dennis

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines