How do i open a .avif file in Photoshop?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of a sudden images i use to drag from a browser to the desktop are no longer .jpg, rather they are .avif files and i can not get Photoshop to open them. Is this something Adobe is aware of and will they fix this in the next upgrade? Since its now an industry standard, Photoshop is behind the times...

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

With the current version (23.5.1) you should not need a plug in to open webp. It is directly supported

Dave

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download a plugin to support this.

From AVIF site:

https://avif.io/blog/tutorials/photoshop/

Kevin Stohlmeyer
Adobe Community Professional/Adobe Certified Instructor

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome, thank you! Will Adobe incorporate this into future releases?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, on my mac using Safari its a .webp file, & on chrome, a .avif file and that plug in is for Windows, so what do Mac users use?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are plugins for WEBP too, a more popular format.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the current version (23.5.1) you should not need a plug in to open webp. It is directly supported

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, yes it did open the .webp! When i drag an image from opensea.io in safari its a .webp, in Chrome its the .avif, so for now i'll use Safari until photoshop can also open the .avif, thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines