• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I quantizise alpha channel in photoshop?

Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it even possible in PS?
Normally I have alpha values from 0-255, but I need them 0-8 for example. I need these to save space and have better compression. 
Other colour information should remain in original depth.

Its possible to make my own tool for this or search for external solution, but thinking of asking here first before wasting my time.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In short:

- ¨Possible in ps?: yes but. (read below)

- Make your own tool: yes but. If you make a tool, you are the only one with that tool until everyone that needs your work has the tool as well. Depending on what you want to achieve, this is good/bad.

In photoshop, you can apply a posterize filter to your alpha channel with x values (x=8 for 0-8 as requested) to reduce the alpha values to 8 values used on a 0-255 scale.

With a posterize filter of 8 applied to your alpha channel, the alpha values per pixel will be redistributed to one of 8 values.

I don't see how it will save a huge amount of space, as your alpha histogram will still be 0-255 and not the 0-8 as I think you desire, but perhaps for your case this optimization is enough.

You might get more results faster by using a different file format than the one you are using now. (gif, png, webp, tiff, ...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't see how it will save a huge amount of space, as your alpha histogram will still be 0-255 and not the 0-8 as I think you desire, but perhaps for your case this optimization is enough.

In a psd Channels appear to get compressed by default, so the savings might be noticable depending on the Channel’s original content. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines