• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I transform .psd effects into effects that I can store in my PhotoShop menu?

Enthusiast ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lots of effects come in .psd format, and I am expected to change the demo imaga in the layer.

But that often results in a small image like this:

Screenshot 2022-09-14 211029.png

Even though the image is not small.

I don't want to open PSD-s and change the image, I don't think that is the logical way to do this.

How do I save this effect so that I can apply it to any image that is already opened?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

You do that by recording the effect as an action, and then run the action whenever you need it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't tell what you are doing from your screenshot - you have a smart object and a folder - what are in there creating the effect / style? You can save effects / styles as your own presets, my preferred way to save is to add them to a library. If you are not actually using PS effects and it's layers, you can also save those layers to a library. If you are using actual styles from the fx menu, you can click on the plus sign at the bottom of a library to add it. 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I forgot to open the layer dropdown for you to see it, on the capture:

Screenshot 2022-09-14 224249.png

So the effect as a whole can be saved, the effect folder itself, as a library, and applied to any image from the libraries?

Is this the best way to save it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The instructions of many effects are very bad, this is the instruction:

"

how to use it

open the psd file, then go to layer and double click the smart object with the name (according to the name of the object listed)
if you have changed the smart object to your design then save, taraaaa

complete your task as fast as possible!!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then why aren't effects provided as libraries?

Why as .psd files?

Is it because I am supposed to save the effect as a library?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just a psd you add to another psd. It's not even using a PS style. You can save the whole thing to a library as a smart object. Your libraries are yours, you can share with other people but if you getting these effects from somewhere they wouldn't be shared in a library. Do a search on how to use Creative Cloud Libraries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here is the file

I opened the effect PSD and then did "Create New Library From Document", and now I would like to apply the effect to an image, this is how it looks with my library open:

Screenshot 2022-09-15 161715.png

But the effect did not get properly stored in the library, the grain texture layer is missing.

I don't know how to apply this effect from my PhotoShop menu, even though I saved it as a library now.

I am using effects like brushes, patterns and actions without problems (I haven't used styles yet).

Cannot this effect be converted into an action?

Actions seem to be the most handy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As others have said, this is not a style or other effect thast can be saved in your library. It's more of a texture overlay. Make a folder somewhere on your computer for them and save it there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want to, as i said.

I am looking for a solution to incorporate this overlay (and other similar overlays) to be used from some menu within my PhotoShop.

I do not want to open PSD files and then change the image, as the creator of this overlay is instructing to do.

That is not the proper way to use overlays or effects.

First you open your image, and then apply your overlay. That is the proper way to do it.

I am looking for a solution for that.

Do not suggest "solutions" that I already said that I don' want to use.

The question refers to how to incorporate image manipulation tools that are stored in a PSD fie to be available from some PhotoShop menu.

It has been said in this tread that they could be applied from libraries, but I got stuck there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually yes this is the "proper way" to use overlays.  A texture overlay is not a layer style or any combination of effects that could be saved as one. It is a layer. And by the way,  and the others in here are all busy professionals on deadlines who have taken the time to try to help you. So maybe avoid statements such as your "Do not suggest "solutions" that I already said that I don't want to use."

-edit typo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, the file is attached.

How to actually use this effect, anyone?

As quoted, the instructions is a crap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 options to use it properly - double click the smart object (the one inside of the effect folder) and place your image in there, save and close OR you can just drop your photo into a layer above or below the blue your photos here layer, drag the layer mask to your own layer and then delete the smart object. I would choose the 2nd option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No no and no.

Don't use words like "drop".

There are a million ways to put a photo in photoshop and talking in terms of dropping is just inacurate.

Your "explanations" are vague and inaccurate.

ITS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE ONE WHO ANSWERRS TO CRAFT AN ASWER THAT CANNOT BE MISUNDERSTOOID.

Your answers are vague, not to the point, an extremely inaccurate.

OMG,

"2 options to use it properly - double click the smart object (the one inside of the effect folder) and place your image in there, save"

this is a total crap.

You have to learn to talk accurately if you want to actually be of any use on these forums.

Anyone who answered here their answeres was VAGUE useless crap!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's false because it should be possible to record it as an action, for example.

And I am sure that there are ways to integrating this overlay as a simple one click effect from the PhotoShop menu.

Just because you don't know or don't want to tell, it doesn't mean that the solution doesn't exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just a PSD. It's not an effect - you can call it an effect all you want. You basically have a gradient map adjustment layer on top to turn the image into a sepia tone. Then you have Grunge layer to add some texture. The smart object is just so you can put a photo there and use the layer mask to hide bits of your image and make it look more grungy. You can turn the layer mask into a regular layer and use it as a clipping mask or overlay as well. The whole thing is simple to use and idiot proof wich is the point. You can save the 3 pieces to your library as seperate images but it's not saving you any time, you'll have to rename them in the order they go it and then remember it all. Whether you want to or not, the workflow is to open the image and use it as directed. You can also just drag and drop the whole thing onto an open image and use it that way if preffered. Just place your image layer in there and move the layer mask to your image. Learning to use Photoshop properly will help immensly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are are unable to tell the solution in 

steps.

That is how "professional" you are.

Nothing of what you said and I tried ever worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And this need to be saved as an action.

Opening the psd with a demo image and changing the image that's a crap.

You need to have an overview of ALL your effects from your PhotoShop menu, and pre-made effects need to be stored as 1 click solution as an action, and modify layers for fine tuning afterwards.

And this IS effect, telling this is not an effect is false.

Yes it does contain an overlay texture or image but it contains other adjustments too, and it is an effect.

And this must be recorded as an action.

But I still don't know how to use it because nobody told the steps:

1. you do this

2. you do this

3. you do this

etc

Is that very difficult to tell for a "professional"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just because you lack the knowledge to follow my instructions doesn't mean they are crap - drag and drop is literally a thing and using the word drop is completely, 100% accurate if you know how to do it. We are here to help you help yourself, not hold your hand through every step. 

1. Open the PSD file

2. Turn off the eyeball next to the top layer (it's worthless)

3. expand the effect group

4. double click on the smart object / img layer

5. drop / place, (file menu, place embedded) whatever you want to call it and however you want to do it - you can literally drag your image from your desktop or Bridge and DROP it into PS. Get your image into the file making sure it's the top layer

6. save and close the img.psb

7. that's it

I will not be commenting further on the thread. If you can't figure it out I can't help you. I've spelled it out several different ways. Stop disparing people and their answers or I will request to have you removed from the forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this yes this is a good answer so I could actually apply the effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone tell how to record this effect as an action, step by step, with accurate wording (do not use words like drop - that can be place as link, place ambedded, drag and drop - whatever - use terms that cannot be misunderstood)?

Because all the garbage in this effect - the demo image, the blue thing, etc... - I don't need it) 

This need to be unpacked so that the effect can be recreated as an action.

If anyone can provide accurate steps to reproduce it as an action, very welcome.

And please do not be "smart" and tell me that I must use this as is is as a PSD file and there is no other way to do it, because it can be recorded as an action.

I paid for this, and this should have been sold as an action from the beginning, as a 1 click effect.

But now after I paid for it I have to fix it up and make it an action myself. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't change the way Ps works just because you don't want to take the time to learn it.

What you're asking for isn't possible. Perhaps a mobile app is more what you're looking for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have talked loads of crap already in this feed, you still didn't tell the man how to actually use this overlay, since the instructions of it are a crap?

Why are you filling the asnwers fields if you don't actually provide a usable answer?

Get out of here,if you are off topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He isn't talking loads of crap - you are being very childish and rude. We come here volunteering our time to answer questions. It's very clear that you don't know PS very well and think your question has a simple answer and it does not. Just because you think something should work a certain way doesn't mean it does. I suggest you either use this as is or take the time to actually learn how to use PS. Take it down a notch... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You "professionals" still didn't provide a usable answer, which is proven by readin the feed.

You keep filling the topic with patronizing comments instead.

get out of here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's a total disgrace that such people are ruling the forums of a paid software, and even the effects are paid for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines