• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you combine (merge) multiple layer masks in the layer panel??

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2016 Aug 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 2 copies of a background in my layers panel.  One copy has a selection made with the magic wand tool/inverted with a layer mask applied.  Another one of the copies has a selection made with the polygonal lasso tool (done for small details)/inverted with a mask applied to the other background layer. 

Two layers with layer masks … How can I merge or group them to represent one selection??

Allen

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layer mask a nothing more the selections and can be save as Alpha Channels and Aalpha channels can be combined many ways.

Ctlr+Click on a layer in the layer palette will load the layer transparency as a slection.  ie the layer mask.

Shift+Ctrl+Click on a layer in the layers palette will add the layers transparency to the current selection.

Background Layers can not be masked. Background layers do not support transparency their transparency is lacked.  Newer version of Photoshop will automatically convert a background layer to a normal layer when one mask it.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have watched   the  tutorial several times however the demonstration is not clear as to the starting point.  It seemed like the 3 layer masks were in fact grouped together  (removed from their copied backgrounds).  I have succeeded in creating the group configuration but have not been able to carry out steps 2 -3 of selecting the other masks and combining and creating a composite of both masks.

And why is the final combined mask placed in a sub group of the main group in one tutorial and added to the main group in another??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, that did get confusing. Let's try this again.

How can I merge or group them to represent one selection?

1. Control click your first mask in the Layers panel to load it as a selection (Cmd click on a Mac)
  2. Control Shift click the second mask in the Layers panel to add to the existing selection (Cmd Sh click on a Mac)
    (At this point you will see marching ants around both selections. Don't deselect.)
  3. Layer > Layer Mask > Delete
  4. Layer > Layer Mask > Reveal Selection

That gives you a new mask that combines both of the original masks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks....I'll try using these instruction

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did it work for you, AllenL?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are a godess from heaven 😃  Also my personal hero, thanks this helped me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2016 Aug 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

clicking on the first mask revealed the selection

however

when I followed the instructions to cmdshclick on the second mask it didn’t make the selection (there’s a + sign in the hand)

are there other adjustments or is the software corrupted or misbehaving? (I’m using PS CS6)

I reversed the order of selections and it still only “selected” the first mask

thanks for your patience, Barb

Allen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2016 Aug 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to help! Would you please post a screen shot that includes your layers panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you. The first of the screen shots shows the selection of the wheel with the polygonal tool on a layer.The second of the screen shots shows the selection of the people done with the magic wand tool on the other layer. your patience is greatly appreciated. I have been struggling on my own to learn photoshop!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post the screen capture of your Photoshop window using this button?

Google Chromess_001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 10.06.46 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-08-05 at 10.07.09 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I merge or group them to represent one selection??

Ok:

1. Outlined in pink: click the word selectio... to make the top layer active.
  2. Outlined in red: click the eyeball to show the top layer
  3. Outlined in green: Command+click the bottom mask
  4. Outlined in blue: Command+ Sh+ click the top mask

Photoshop CCss_004.png

This will show marching ants around the statue.

1. Layer > Layer Mask > Delete
  2. Layer > Layer Mask > Reveal Selection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you combine those two layer mask you will most likely wind up with a selection like the top layer mask it seems to have selected all the areas that are select in the lower layer mask.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2016 Aug 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have followed your instructions, however, the people mask seems to disappear because I am left with only the upper mask (wheel) no matter how many times I try.  I even had my wife stand over my shoulders so that I was sure of following your instruction.  Do you think something I did (unwittingly) in steps in creating the selections preceding the merge attempt could be the problem?

Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 12.40.30 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2016 Aug 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes That is what should happen.  I wrote that in a previous append.  The upper mask includes all of the areas that what the bottom mask select.   Adding in the bottom mask to the top mask would add nothing to the top mask.  The result would be the same as the top mask.  The top mask has the set of area the bottom mask has already. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For example if you had a 5 image collage you wanted to create a Mat layer on top of.  It would be very easy to do. A Ctrl+Click on the First image layer mask followed by a Shift+Ctrl on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th. To select all the images the Invert the selection to have a mask for the mat layer. Add a solid fill layer on top with this selection active the add a layer style.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel if that video was not clear to you.  You need to spend more time using Photoshop.

For when you look at video like that one and we write you can save selection as alpha channels and combine alpha channels may way using calculations.  That loading a layers transparence with a ctrl+click is like loading the layer mask and using Shift+Ctrl+Click can add to a selection.  That a selection and a layer mask are the same thing. It all goes in one of your eyes and out the other for you have not used Photoshop long enough to know how Photoshop works.  You need more time in the saddle.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2018 Aug 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey JJMack, how about you just let Barb help AllenL instead of drilling him for not understanding photoshop... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2018 Aug 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you understand you posted your opinion about my reply in this thread that is two years old to the day.  There were other append by me  in this thread also after Aug. 3, 2016 did you read any of them.  IMO you should try to help users  like other user here do.  Your is the only reply in this thread that was not trying to help the OP. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines