• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How much GPU speed/video memory really matter in PS/LR for image editing?

Engaged ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's nothing new that GPU accel support in PS is standard. In Lr too. We get some better visual zooming, computation of some filters etc.

But how much GPU speed and memory really matters in terms of overall PS performance?

I have AMD RX 5500XT with 8GB video ram. I bought it for some games, but think it's an overkill for PS or LightroomClassic.
I was thinking to actually downgrade to fan-less, passive cooling of GTX1030 Nvidia with only 2GB ddr5 vram.

Since I'm unable to test that one, how much, if any, will I see the speed reduction? If anyone has any experience or could provide more insight, I'd be grateful.

As for other PC specs, I have AMD Ryzen 7 3700X cpu with 32GB ram.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Stick with the one you have, if it otherwise performs OK (no buggy drivers etc).

GTX 1030 with 2GB VRAM is already barely meeting the recommended minimum specs. It might work OK for now, but GPU processing is where the rapid development is these days. You could be left behind at any upcoming update.

I have a Quadro P2200 with 5GB that I've already started the countdown for. I'm just waiting a bit for availability to come up, and prices to go down.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stick with the one you have, if it otherwise performs OK (no buggy drivers etc).

GTX 1030 with 2GB VRAM is already barely meeting the recommended minimum specs. It might work OK for now, but GPU processing is where the rapid development is these days. You could be left behind at any upcoming update.

I have a Quadro P2200 with 5GB that I've already started the countdown for. I'm just waiting a bit for availability to come up, and prices to go down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, thanks. I was fascinated by relatively nice GPU without any fans and ultra-low power consumption (30W). I'm always eager to slash some power consumption, esp. if the hardware greatly outperforms my usage. But yeah, thinking about future updates too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines