• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to add Breed in photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm going to create a brochure with A4 size in photoshop, how can I add bleed? How many mm should I add on top of that 3mm/6mm? Can I add bleed after complete the design or suppose to add at the beginning? Appreciate if anyone could help.Thank you.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally, a layout is created in say InDesign and placed elements are sized and positioned in the layout with the edges for bleed extending beyond the document edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but I didn't have indesign.Can it be done in AI?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Li Shen5EB6,

You need a minimum of 3mm. Use 5mm to give yourself a little bit of headrooom.

So off an A4 the document size in Ps will be:

210mm + 5mm for either side = 220mm.

297mm + 5mm for either side = 307mm.

Let us know how you go

mj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Stephen says. This is done in InDesign.

Photoshop is in any case an inappropriate tool for this, especially if it contains text, which Photoshop will rasterize without mercy. You don't want that.

As for the bleed, this is just a slightly oversized image extending outside the page (in EU 3mm is the general consensus). In InDesign you set up the document with the required bleed setting. ID then exports a print-ready PDF with trim marks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Let me know if it can be done in AI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As you asked, yes, you can even use AI to set the bleed. As other users advised you, PS is not a good tool to manage text and bleed. PS doe not have bleed options but you need to oversize your document. AI and ID have either bleed options to easily seti them up and, of course, in either both apps text remains vector. So, yes, you can go ahead even with AI and export as pdf even if ID remains the best solution at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines