• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to apply different actions once to different each folder contains different images and export wi

Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how to apply different actions once to different each folder contains different images and export with the same folder names and hierarchies as its imported

In short, it is to repeat the single operation process of batch processing, but import files and actions are variables

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

If I understood the task correctly, then you can use my script - Auto-find-action 

(download jsx file from github and put it into Presets\Scripts\ folder of Photoshop)

It looks for a match between the name of the action and the name of the document, the name of the folder from which the document is opened, the name of the active layer, or any layer from the document. It is designed to be written to an action, which allows it to be used in batch processing as well. I think that the interface is

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is not much info to go on, please answer the following so that the forum can help you:

1) Do you know how to script in JavaScript, AppleScript or VB Script?

2) How will you match the folder to the action set and action?

2a) Is it a single folder to a single action set and action?

2b) Is it a single folder to the same action set with different action for each folder?

3) Your directory structure is unknown, I get the impression that there are sub-directories? Please upload a screenshot or provide more info on the folder structure.

4) File naming is based on the parent directory name, however, what sort of sequential numbering suffix is required to avoid filename clashes with multiple input images being renamed to the same directory name?

5) Output file format and options, is this the same as the input image or are different input file formats all being saved to a single output file format?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further to my previous post... Your task requires custom scripting, the script may take a lot of time and effort to create unless you can find a pre-made script that does what you require.

I would propose the following as a less than ideal alternative by leveraging existing tools that do not require custom programming:

1) Image Processor Pro (IPP) script, which can use a single top-level/root input folder and process sub-folders maintaining directory hierarchy and naming with a base-name* and sequential numbering + using an action to process and save into various file formats. 

2) *The name used by the IPP script is not the parent directory name, however, this can be changed either by adjusting the IPP script code (harder to do) or using batch rename in Adobe Bridge (easy to do).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! Could you tell me how to apply a A document corresponding to its A action, next B document to its B action and so on...  and export each of them to an individual file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Stephen, but how does the script know which action to choose for the file being executed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is explained in the original topic and code comments. There are multiple conditionals that compare the file name for specific text using either indexOf(); or match(); in order to play the required action. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understood the task correctly, then you can use my script - Auto-find-action 

(download jsx file from github and put it into Presets\Scripts\ folder of Photoshop)

It looks for a match between the name of the action and the name of the document, the name of the folder from which the document is opened, the name of the active layer, or any layer from the document. It is designed to be written to an action, which allows it to be used in batch processing as well. I think that the interface is intuitive, but just in case, I recorded a short video with an example of work:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy crap!! yes it is! !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that's very nice of you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I know what software did you use for your guide effects? thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mouse highliter from MS PowerToys (only Windows)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jazz, when I apply the batch processing and choose Folder instead of what you selected Opened files, the script can't find the name matching to its action, why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the script only being able to process the open files? if I use batch to export plenty of my documents, should I open all of them in Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The script needs a match in the name of one of the document attributes you specified and the name of the action.

Can you describe your task in more detail? (with examples of action names, file names, or other attributes you need to match)

The video shows a simple example of batch processing of two folders:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much, it is not automatically saved and closed and does not overwrite the original file in the original folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and every time it pops out the auto find action panel to select.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

***FACEPALM***

Comments cleanup script accidentally grabbed a few lines of code. After uploading the file, I did not check it.

Download the file again. I recovered the deleted lines and everything should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again, but the problem is still happening, I don't know if the problem is in the action settings or in the script

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, It does not overwrite the original path file, instead, it overwrites the same-named file in other paths. I think the script is still incorrect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and every time it pops out still and asks to reset the settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How did you write script in the action?

*.jsx file needs to be copied to the photoshop presets folder, for example c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2022\Presets\Scripts\ (this is really important, since the script uses the EventID to write to the action), then restart Photoshop.

When writing to an action, you cannot use the "insert menu item" command, but you need to run the script itself (it will be written as a command). The fact that you see its settings every time you run the script means that it is incorrectly written to the action.

I tested the script on versions CC2014 and newer. What photoshop do you have?

The script simply finds the action and runs it. It does not change the logic of other elements of Photoshop. It doesn't save files. This makes your action and batch processor (if you use one). Accordingly, the correctness of saving files depends primarily on what you write to the action and what you specify in the Batch settings.

Describe your file saving task in more detail so I can help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines