• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to avoid black vertical bars on each side of my video.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I use Photoshop to create a cinemagraph. When I export my video by choosing File>Export>render video, I get on both sides a small vertical bar (see screenshot). This bar is not visible in Photoshop. When I export the same video as GIF I don't have this problem.

So my question is; how can I export as MP4 without the bars.

I have tried several settings for the 'aspect' option, but that doesn't solve the problem.

I have enclosed two screenshots.

Thanks for your reply in advance.

Bart

Schermafbeelding 2017-06-20 om 11.01.25.pngSchermafbeelding 2017-06-20 om 11.00.59.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Hi

I am surprised that gives any black bars as the pixel ratio is exactly 16:9 the same as the original

However I do have a thought. The scaling to that size is an awkward 0.4416 recurring, which may be leading to rounding errors.

There are a couple of scale values which give whole pixel dimensions and simple scaling ratios, which you could try in order to rule this out.

One is 816x459 which is 1920x1080 scaled by x 0.425

Another is 864x486 which is 1920x1080 scaled by x 0.45

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your image size in pixels as shown by the Image Size box?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original file size is 1920 x 1080

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even when exporting at the original file size I get the bars on the side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bart

Could you confirm you definitely see this when exporting at the original 1920x1080 dimensions.

I ask because 1920x1080 (which is a ratio of 16:9)  does not fit exactly to 840x462.  To avoid cropping , or black bars, the new dimensions would need to be either 848x477 or 816x459.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply.

I double checked, but exporting in 1920x1080 does not give the bars (I had the 'aspect' set to square). When exporting in the sizes you suggest I still see a very small black lines (see screenshot)

Bart

Schermafbeelding 2017-06-20 om 12.27.31.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you have it fixed. This shows the importance of choosing your design size correctly to reflect your final video needs (I lost a lot of work to this mistake once!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am surprised that gives any black bars as the pixel ratio is exactly 16:9 the same as the original

However I do have a thought. The scaling to that size is an awkward 0.4416 recurring, which may be leading to rounding errors.

There are a couple of scale values which give whole pixel dimensions and simple scaling ratios, which you could try in order to rule this out.

One is 816x459 which is 1920x1080 scaled by x 0.425

Another is 864x486 which is 1920x1080 scaled by x 0.45

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

Thanks a lot. I tried both dimensions and luckily the 864x486 does the job! The other format had still that issue.

Bart

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Test Screen Name,

I tried your suggestion, but it didn't work unfortunately.

Bart

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking (though I may be missing a quality issue) that the easiest thing might be to do an Image Size just before the export. This could do any flight stretching out of shape neatly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happened with the Image Size? It sounded good in theory...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still had two black stripes on each side. Although small, still visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So did you do an image resize to the exact size in pixels that you are using for the video? If the size matches exactly there should be no black border, so that's a real puzzle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I resize the video and I choose e.g. 840 width and leave the constrain aspect ratio on and than choose to render the video and use the 'original' format (840 width) I get two small stripes on each side. The only dimension that works is when I use the scale ratio of 0,45.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bart

I had a little time to experiment this afternoon and I get the same as you. Whether scaling at render or scaling before using image size - the mp4 file for the 816x459 example has black edge pixels at each side but actually measures 816x458 not 816x459 when brought back into Photoshop.

Why 459 height was being changed to 458 I did not know. So I tried other odd pixel heights and all were changed to an even number at render.

So the key to avoiding black edges appears to be - ensure the aspect ratio is the same as the original (in your case 16:9) and ensure the height is an even number of pixels

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to hear your feedback Dave.

So it is not something that had to do with my computer or version or something.

Thanks again for your feedback and help. I know what to do now, If I apply the x 0,45 ratio  I will be fine in the future.

Bart

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am experiencing the same issue here, would anyone be able to give me advice specific to my video if possible?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/remove-black-borders-on-video-from-ph...

Thank you so much x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@gracet68502989 wrote:

Hello, I am experiencing the same issue here, would anyone be able to give me advice specific to my video if possible?

Did you try the advice given by Dave earlier in this thread?

@davescm wrote:

So the key to avoiding black edges appears to be - ensure the aspect ratio is the same as the original (in your case 16:9) and ensure the height is an even number of pixels

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi I did not as I am bad with numbers and didn't really understand how to apply his advice to my numbers specifically, BUT for anyone else having this problem: I just cropped the actual video on my iphone in photos (edit in the top right hand corner  > then used the crop and rotate feature at the bottom) which removed the black borders and was fine for uploading in my situation, not totally technical but I hope this helps! x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines