Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create a narrow hoop and blurred edge

Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2021 Aug 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Im looking to create a transparent layer with a hoop. Im looking to create a blurred edge effect for the hoop. The blurred edge would be approximately 10-15 % of the diameter of the hoop, on the outer and inner edge.

The final outcome would be a transparent layer where the hoop in the attached image is transparent and the background and hoop centre are solid fill.

Im quite new to photoshop so I hope the above makes sense.

I would welcome any guidance here.

Thanks

Rob

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2021 Aug 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With your hoop on a separate layer make it a smart object and apply a gaussian blur:

hoop 02.jpg

I added a red layer to show blurred image better. On your fill layer for the center, make a circular selection, about in the center of the hoop, and add a mask to the fill layer.

hoop 04.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chuck,

The whole hoop is blurred in the image you shared in the reply which is not really what i was looking for help with. Its just about 10 - 15% of the edge i wanted blurred not the whole diameter of the white hoop.  Meaning the centre section is not blurred at all and the edges are blurred of softened.  Hope this makes sense, Ive attached the image Ive been working on. I've spent day & days trying to fugure this out and for some reason no one seems to be able to guide me on this. Thanks for your help so far.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at your first screen shot, again, do you just want the outer edge of the hoop blurred to the ends of the arc? If so, you would still create a smart object of the hoop and blur it. But then you would use a layer mask to limit the blur. You can create an alpha channel or layer to create this mask. You can use the gradient tool set to the one where both sides of the gradient are the same tone: black and the middle white. Then use the transform tool to bring in one side to the gradient to form a ray or triangle shape that fits how much you want to have the hoop blurred. Then use that as a selection to create your mask. Sorry, I'm not at my computer to post an example maybe later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HI Chuck,

Thanks for the quick reply.  So I edited the attached in Photos app on the mac. Usting a soften tool you can blur the edges of this flower of life example. I could complete it this way but its manual, prone to inaccuracies of measurement and Id love to find a way to do this in Photo shop.  In my example Ive circled two sections where I applied the soften brush and selected these by dragging my mouse around the edge. 

I am really still a beginner, and I struggle with the logic of photoshop at times. I actually follow what your saying above as you have worded your reply in a descriptive way. Where I fall down is finding the tools and applying the terminolg.y  Ive never created an alpha channel, nor have i used a gradient tool and the ray shape you mention I think thats what I want but again I spend ages looking in the menu bar and tools and usually give up frustrated after a couple of hours of trying like mad to figure out. Anyway let me show you what i did in Photos. One with and without the blur effect.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines