Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create a shortcut to add/subtract selection in lasso

Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I would like to know if there are a way to create a shortcut to add/subtract selection in phothosop when I'm usisng the tool lasso. I mean change between the options of the screen shot.Captura de pantalla 2021-11-25 195903.png

Thanks you!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Hi!

Holding Shift will let you add

Holding Alt will let you subtract

Holding both Shift and Alt will let you intersect

This is a great article to show all the uses for the lasso tools as well!

Guide to the Lasso Tool in Photoshop | Envira Gallery

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Although you can't change the shortcut, it is probably best to learn and use the current keys. The reason is important: Shift to add and Alt/Option to subtract are not only used to add/subtract with the Lasso tool, but also for all other selection tools in Photoshop. And not only that, the same keys do the same thing in similar tools in other applications, including many programs that are not by Adobe. In fact Adobe did not invent the Shift/Alt convention — they followed the example set by earli

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Holding Shift will let you add

Holding Alt will let you subtract

Holding both Shift and Alt will let you intersect

This is a great article to show all the uses for the lasso tools as well!

Guide to the Lasso Tool in Photoshop | Envira Gallery

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks you, and is there a way to change this shortcut for other key?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if there is for the lasso selctions? I tried digging in the keyboard shortcuts by selecting Edit > Keyboard shortcuts (or Window > Workspace > Keyboard Shortcuts & Menus) You can change the lasso key short cuts there but I did not see an answer to the add/subtract/intersect options.

There may be somone smarter than me who might have the answer hopefully!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, those are part of the hardcoded shortcuts in Photoshop, no way to change them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although you can't change the shortcut, it is probably best to learn and use the current keys. The reason is important: Shift to add and Alt/Option to subtract are not only used to add/subtract with the Lasso tool, but also for all other selection tools in Photoshop. And not only that, the same keys do the same thing in similar tools in other applications, including many programs that are not by Adobe. In fact Adobe did not invent the Shift/Alt convention — they followed the example set by earlier image editing applications 30 years ago.

So Shift to add and Alt/Option to subtract are actually industry standard shortcuts for adding to and subtracting from selections in general. If you were able to change them in Photoshop, that might slow you down in other applications because you would have created a shortcut inconsistency with all other applications that handle selections.

It would probably be better for you to become familiar with these industry standard shortcuts as they are, so that you can easily work in any application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, thanks for answer I think that is better learn to use the default shotcuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines