Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How To Dehaze This Antique Photo?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jodie003.jpg

Got some serious fading going on in this old photo. Any ideas how to get rid of this hazing effect? It's a bit more than I've dealt with.

 

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note: Tried dehaze slider in Lightroom. Didn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From you image, it looks like an issue called Silvering. You can eliminate it, but you have to do it when copying the photo. It requires using two light sources at 45 degrees to the print, Nd the lights have to have polarizing filters over them. Then you need a polarizing filter over your lens. This will eliminate reflections as well as silvering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I never thought a polarizing filter would penetrate that haze! I have a polarizing filter for my camera, but not lights. Playing around in photoshop has given me some good results though. I'll post here in a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're doing a lot of copying, it's worth it to get the filters for the lights.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Final 2.jpgFigured it out! Found a Youtube guide on removing silvering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did some instructions for removing silvering using photoshop elements, however, it should work in photoshop as well.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-elements-discussions/deleting-quot-silvering-quot-particles...

Screenshot-(486).jpg

Though Chuck Uebele use of cross polarization filters yields a much better result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's an example of what cross polarization filters can do to remove silvering.

silvering.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines