How to: Digital Glitch Art

Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all.

I'm new to both Photoshop and this forum, so if this question is out of place or doesn't make sense, apologies in advance.

I was wondering how to make an image in this style:298704a5dac1a60b2360f967ab1f26b5b5d5d16bd7aab2e4024cf203f827833e

(made by @Polygon1993 and@sblngr respectively on instagram).

I'm interested specifically in learning how to generate the lines that the images are made up of in such a way that they follow the shape of the subject (this is most clearly seen in the first picture in my opinion). I've tried to achieve this effect using Displacement Maps, but to no avail. I'm not sure whether I'm using the wrong tool or using the tool wrong. 

If anyone could help me out, I'd be massively grateful. 

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a Displacement Glitch Effect because the lines bend around the object.  You start with an image of the lines you want to bend and usually, those are created in Illustrator.  I like to make them using the blend command and create lines that are interesting, then blend them together to create a pattern to add a displacement effect and colors.   

Here's a tutorial on how the process works, and you can take it in any direction you want after you learn the methods.  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your comment.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines