• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to disable "linked" library files

Engaged ,
Aug 01, 2024 Aug 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the latest "update" to photoshop, whenever I drag an item from the library to a document I'm working on a popup comes up saying it is now a "linked" file and if I want to place it as a copy, I have to hold the ALT key down while dragging it from the library. 

What I need to know is how do I turn this stupidity off? I'm extremely aggravated that I now have to go to the extra step of remembering to hold the ALT key down while dragging something from the library. This is stupid, just turn the crap OFF and never have to do it again. 

I have looked at every option in the preferences and there is nothing to turn this junk off in there. 

Adobe needs to STOP arbitrarily changing things and screwing with people. If you implement something, turn it off and show a ONE TIME pop up telling people they can turn it on IF THEY WANT TO. Just stop turning CRAP on that nobody wants. 

joeh87907460_0-1722562852199.png

This is the dialog box that pops up. It never came up before this latest update. I'm not sure if it was becasue of the lastest update to photoshop or to the latest update to the CC App. I updated both at the same time so it could be either one of them.

This is a change and I need to know how to reverse it. And Holding the ALT key down every frigging time is NOT an option... And right clicking on it in the library panel and choosing "place layers" is NOT an option either. I need to know how to turn this absolute stupidity off PERMENANTLY and never have to mess with it again. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know of a setting to change this behaviour and I can't say whether things changed "in the last update" or not. I don't use the Libraries feature (apart from when it comes up in forum topics).

If you forget to hold down the Alt/Opt key, you can use Layer > Smart Objects > Embed Linked or Layer > Smart Objects > Rasterize or even Layer > Smart Objects > Convert to Layers and answer yes or no to the retain transformations question.

I'm guessing that you will find this even more onerous than holding down Alt/Opt, however, short of undoing the drag-n-drop and repeating with the modifier key down as you mention there doesn't appear to be any other option.

You can make a feature request by creating a new topic and using the "Ideas" label rather than "Discussion".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t think this has changed. There’s stuff in my library that I add all the time, and as far back as I can remember it’s been link by default, copy with Alt/Option-drag.

Although it would be convenient if the default could be switched to copy. If you want to submit that as a feature request, you can do that in the Ideas section of this community where maybe it can be voted up far enough to get done. I'd vote for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why you haven't noticed it, because I noticed it. It was not this way a couple of weeks ago. Two or three weeks ago I could drag anything from the library panel and it wasn't "linked" at all. It was a copy of the image in the library. I could even delete it from my library after dragging it into a document and it was still in my document and there was no "missing asset" warning when I opened the file again. So it wasn't linked for me anyway, but now it is and I am really aggravated that they turned that junk on and I have no obvious way to turn it off. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the tip about "ideas", I put this post in that category too. Here is the link to it: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/how-to-disable-quot-linked-quot-library-fil...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines