• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to disable red tutorial speech balloons?

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today, Photoshop 21.2.1 started displaying "helpful" red speech balloons whever I did something. It's telling me things like "use Ctrl-D to deselect" after I make a selection, or "Reselect Layer 1 to continue" (see attached).  I do not want this, and I can't figure out a way to stop it from happening. All my searches just lead to "how to disable video tooltips," but this isn't that. 2022-03-29_12-49-23.jpg

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try this:

1. In Photoshop (CC) go to 'File' > 'Preferences'.
  2. Select 'Tools'.
  3. When the pop-up box appears uncheck 'Use Rich Tooltips' and "Show Tooltips".
  4. Click 'OK'

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response; unfortunately, that didn't fix it. I don't think they're tooltips; I think they're some sort of automated tutorial, and I have no idea how I managed to trigger them.

A little more info: while it doesn't display in the screenshot, the layer menu is outlined in blue on mouse-over when the red bubble is open. Right clicking on the bubble will make it disappear momentarily, only to reappear shortly thereafter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try to reset the preferences of Photoshop using the steps described here:

Preferences in Photoshop (adobe.com)

Please backup your settings before resetting the preferences. You can check:

Preferences in Photoshop (adobe.com)

I've never heard about such automatic tutorials. As far as I know such tutorials aren't include in Photoshop. It can be that there an appropriate third party plugin is activated. Please check you active plugins.

Photoshop plug-ins troubleshooting (adobe.com)

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jeff, have you used the Discover search tool?  One of its options is to give tutorials for a searched for topic, so I wonder if that's what is producing the red pop-ups?  I've certainly never seen them mentioned here before.

I managed to find a similar red pop up using Google Images of all things, but appears to associate them with Rich Tool Tips, and you have already tried turning those off

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/new-to-photoshop-and-needs-help-stopp...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines