• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to distort one corner of an image without moving two sides (read, hard to explain in Subject!)

Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the problem:

When I want to Transfrom/Distort a corner of a rectangle, the content of the rectangle doensn't stay in the same place. I mean, let's say as an example that I've a point right in the center, when I squeeze the lower right corner towards the upper right, the point MOVES towards the right side of the rectangle!! This makes some adjustments I need to do impossible to achieve. If I use Warp, I can't really mantain straight lines in the image because everything, well, warps… Carefully moving handles I could theoretically achieve the transformation I need but it's very hard and very prone to approximations that I can't tolerate and very slow to achieve and repeat. What I need is a way to compress a corner towards another corner without shifting the content of the rectangle towards the side of the corner I'm moving. All mantaining straight lines in the perpendicular sides and progressively compress them towards the corner where I'm moving the other one. It's hard, please follow the description and you'll understand.

Need help, I'm quite stuck!!

I've attached a very short little movie that shows exactly the unwanted behaviour. Look at the heads, they MOVE towards the right, this is what I don't want. I need to compress the right side without shifiting the content inside the rectangle towards the right side.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2020 has major updated to it transform warp feature the you shoul look into. I believe its what yoy need to use for what you want to do.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately not. The new additions to the warp tool give finer control, that's true, but give NO help if you need to keep lines straight. As said above, I don't want to curve anything, I need to compress lines from one corner without shifting the cotent towards the side I'm compressing, and need to keep the perpendicular lines (horizontal if I compress vertically) straight, creating diagonals where before I had parallels. The movie I've attached shows what I clearly don't want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a hard time visualizing the outcome you want. If the heads do not move, what gets compressed? Can you sketch out by hand a drawing of what you want to achieve, based on the image on the clip?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You Rafael for your answer. Let me try to explain better. If you carefully look at the movie I've attached you see that the heads MOVE towards the right side (amd the whole image, in fact). But, as I'm compressing only a corner, I'd like to compress the horizontal plane without SHIFTING the whole vertical plane to the right. This can be done with warp, but "warp" makes it impossible to do it precisely because moves everything creating curves… I need to be precise because I need not to shift pixels in image in the two sides not affected by distortion, in the case of the movie Top and Left. Bottom from horizontal must obviously become a diagonal and Right must clearly compress considering that I'm moving the bottom right corner. Let me know if you understand better, otherwise I'll try to do a movie with warp (where lines get curved, and I don't want this!!!) to show the final intended result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, here is what I could do. Not sure if this is what you want, but this is how I interpreted your description. 

It is a two-step process:

First, in the Transform tool select Distort. Grab the lower right corner and hold the OPT/ALT key and drag up. This does what I think you want but it also affects the upper left corner (since it is diatorting from the center).

Second, select Skew and grab the upper left corner, and move it up until you get a rectangular image again. 

Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 1.06.50 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately NOT. I've followed your method, and all the possible variations, and no. The content still shift towards right. If you look at your image, heads are not in the same position. I've prepared a movie to show you that heads move. I want to compress one side, not move the whole image to the right. Unbelievable, but it's very very hard to solve this!!!

http://files.camagna.it/personal/203707.mov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I see your point. I looked at my steps again, and I see that the first step (Distort while pressing ALT/OPT) does not make the heads move to the right. See attached image, where I duplicated the layer before distorting, and lowered its opacity so you can see the heads superimposed.

The problem is, you are left with a diagonal crop on top as well as on bottom. Trying to straighten the top is what causes the heads to move. I tried Skew, Distort, Perspective, but all have the same problem. I guess at this point you could just re-crop the top but I don't know if that is acceptable.

Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 3.04.05 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately not acceptable. I need pixel perfect top and left sides (in this case). Looks impossible. Unbelievable. If only warp could warp without curving…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, sorry to hear that. I've run out of ideas!

Good luck. Let us know if you find a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure but I think Perspective Warp tool is what you want.

For details, see Jesus Ramirez's  PTC video below.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately not. I've tried many times following every tutorial. Perspective warp distorts image exactly like Transform>Distort and or Perspective. In the case above (my example) heads get the horrid shift. It's ok for other kind of corrections, where you need a perspective. My case is simple geometry, no perspective involved and none must be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have access to After Effects?  If so, CC Power Pin does what you want, if you set perspective to 0%

2019-11-13_22-01-39.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks exactly what I need but… I do not own the full CC, only the Photographers version (no After Effects). And, for reasons hard to explain but the main one is that images are 60000 pixels wide sometimes (before many transformations) and every time the correction has to be done only in a slice of the image, it's very impractical to switch software. Anyway, you understood my point and that's exactly what I need, something that squeezes a side without applying any perspective. Is it possible that this can't be done in Photoshop???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is in PS 2020 you should have that with your Photographers subscription

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2019 Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JJMack CC Power Pin is in After Effects not Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So no way to do this? Anyone could still help? Please!! Help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this is what you're talking about - but the only way I can get one corner to move (not 2 corners), is to make sure the layer is rasterized 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2022 Jul 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever figure this out? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not at all. I'm still searching for help and I can't believe that there's no way to do this in photoshop but, apparently, it's a dead end. If you find a way, I'm still searching!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator’s Free Distort (edited) also seems to work the way you are referring to. 

But just to make sure: You are aware that this bends the diagonals? 

Screenshot 2022-07-18 at 16.10.45.pngScreenshot 2022-07-18 at 16.10.50.png

Screenshot 2022-07-18 at 16.17.27.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I'm aware. Thank you for your help, unfortunately I'm looking for a PS only solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a way you can do it: Add a new layer, and add a #7f7f7f to #ffff gradient from top to bottom in that layer. Enter Quickmask mode, drag a black to white gradient (black where you want the distortion), exit Quickmask, and fill the resulting selection with #7f7f7f.  The result shoud be gray with one white corner. Save this as a .psd with Maximize File Compatibility enabled. Hide that gradient layer, and go to the image. Filter > Distort > Displace, with Horizontal Scale set to 0%, and Vertical Scale set to a high value, and choose your saved .psd as the source.

Red-Fox Dmap test2.png

[EDIT] Here's the same done on a grid, to show the actual transform:

Semaphoric_0-1658161263881.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice try. Don't you believe it's a little bit too convoluted? Anyway thanks for you help. What I still can't believe is how limited is the warping tool in PS if you want to keep lines straight!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Quite a bit too convoluted, to be truthful. I can't think of any "real" way to do it in Photoshop either, but I am a fan of Quick Masks and the Displace filter, so this came to mind.

It also gave me an opportunity to figure out how to do it, and I like to give myself little exercises in Photoshop on occasion. I need to start doing that with Illustrator, too, where my skills have eroded greatly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines