• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to edit (for eg. move or crop) a whole video layer rather than just one frame

New Here ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I was trying to put two videos next to eachother on photoshop, but everytime i try to crop and move a video next to the other, I just apply the change to one frame of that video layer rather than the whole layer. Anyone knows how I could apply the change to the whole video layer?

My whole layer is selected and my timeline looks like this:

Laura25624202za2m_0-1660294508671.png

Thanks a lot in advance!

Laura

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convert the video layers to smart objects then you can transform them as required (you can also keyframe the transform so the layers move, should you require that)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thanks a lot for your answer.

It says the smart object isn't directly editable and that I have to rasterize it before. If I ratserize the layer though it becomes an image rather than a video. Do you know how I might solve this ?

Thanks in advance,

Laura

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to rasterize the smart object to transform it in the video timeline.

So take the video/video group layer - right click it and convert to smart object. Then, in the timeline, you should see the keyframe controls for transform.

davescm_0-1660835191197.png

Should you need to get back to the video layer, just double click the smart object (in the layers panel) and it will open in a separate window.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave, even after having converted it to a smart object layer and openning it in a new video, the changes i apply are only applied to one frame.

For example, here I was trying to remove the background behind this house. It still only applied the change to a single frame.

Laura25624202za2m_0-1660924151531.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screenshot shows a video layer not a smart object

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop's NLE abilities are pretty basic compared to, say, Premiere or After Effects. There isn't any keying (that I know of), for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are right @War Unicorn. Laura could use a mask but would have to move it frame by frame. After Effects is a much better tool for such work.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines