• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to export layers and have them stay in the same location when imported.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone!

I am trying to export a layer and would like it to be in the same exact spot when imported into a generative software. The layer is a pair of boots on a base character, I would like to export the boots and, if I were to import them into a new photoshop file with the exact same character, have them be placed on that exact same location. I've tried making them boots export file the same size as the character's canvas size but that doesn't work. I've done the same with making the boots layer the same size as the character's image size and still doesn't work. Any help is appreciated!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

As mentioned you can't use Export As, Quick Export or Generator/Generate Assets.

You can use Save As a Copy or Export > Save for Web (Legacy), both of which can be scripted:

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you exporting the layer? Try a smart object. Creat a solid color layer with the boots on top that is the same size as the file you are importing to. You can save the boots as a psd or mak it into a smart object and drop it into your library. Then drag from the library or place the psd file. 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it's a transparent layer that needs to show up on different characters when I run the code on the generator software. I'm making an NFT collection with it. But when I export the file and "place embedded" it into a new photoshop file it just goes to the middle of the screen instead of at the bottom of the canvas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, what I'm looking to do specifically is to export a layer while having the layer stay true to its X and Y coordinates when it's imported back into a new photoshop file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can take a screenshot from the other software and place it in photosjop, place your elements excatly on the same spot on the reference image , export one layer at a time while hidding other layers with same exact canvas size ,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think what I'm looking to do specifically is to export a layer while having the layer stay true to its X and Y coordinates when it's imported back into a new photoshop file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This used to be possible using Export As, then after 6 years Adobe decided it was a bug and removed the feature. They promised to add it back, but like many of their promises, it still hasn't happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been reading a few threads and noticed this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Earth Oliver wrote:

This used to be possible using Export As, then after 6 years Adobe decided it was a bug and removed the feature.

More here –

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-export-as-now-crops-to-contents-instead-of...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned you can't use Export As, Quick Export or Generator/Generate Assets.

You can use Save As a Copy or Export > Save for Web (Legacy), both of which can be scripted:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that you wrote a script a little bit ago. Does that work to solve the location solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

😐

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

🫤👍

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines