• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get (pick or otherwise see displayed somewhere) the color with the highest pixel count?

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey hi there,

Been looking online for a while, asked customer reps, nobody seems to know. How do you get (pick or see displayed somewhere) the color with the highest pixel count in any given photograph?

I'm not talking about the median, nor an average, but simply the color with the highest pixel count–not its chromatic components–but just the color.

The idea is to derivate some color palettes from photos, if it's a photo of the sky with a thousand different blues in it, I want to know which blue covers the most pixels in the image.

Thanks a bunchers,

–Javier

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well … depending on the noise the RGB-color with the highest pixel count might not be that relevant. 

A scripting solution seems possible, iterating the Color Picker is slow, though; I think I have seen approaches using the Lab in RAW that would be faster. 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/how-to-get-list-of-all-colors-in-an-i...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you make any progress on this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you changed the options in the eye dropper? I use 3x3 average but you can change it to whatever you want. I don't think I understand the end game - what do you want to result for?

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist><br />Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if it's a photo of the sky with a thousand different blues in it, I want to know which blue covers the most pixels in the image.

By @javier ar32557083

There might be faster methods, but one way might be to export as a .gif and start reducing the colors.

janee_0-1650047185975.png

janee_1-1650047209434.png

janee_2-1650047257591.png

janee_3-1650047323830.png

I cropped this image heavily, then noticed they both had blue hats. On th second pass I selected that blue and trashed it.

janee_4-1650047503654.png

The buttons on the bottom will let you make a selected color transparent, web-safe, locked so it won't be dropped, trashed, or added from the eyedropper.

janee_5-1650047773376.png

The eyedropper is on the left.

janee_6-1650047789220.png

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nice approach! 

Like @melissapiccone I wonder about the »endgame« – would this have to be »batched« for many images quickly, what is the ultimate output need (swatches, txt-file/s, …), …? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines