Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

How to have an image show through a shape in photoshop?

New Here ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I'm new to using PhotoShop and trying to figure out how to make a cut out image show through a shape, as if it's inside - but not as a 'fill shape' kind of thing. Here's a random example I found online from an advert to hopefully explain better what I mean!

dfkjsdf.jpg

I'm sure it's so simple, but I can't figure out for the life of me how to do it in a way that isn't way too complicated and convoluted. I'm sure there's an easier way. Thank you so much in advance!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are several ways, I would recommend two linked Smart Object instances, one clipped to the shape, the other behind and masked. 

Screenshot 2021-09-05 at 12.08.22.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can also have the subject layer above the shape layer. Then use the shape layer to create a mask for the shape layer. Then edit the mask to show the part of the subject layer that you want extending out from the shape layer.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines