• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to have PS save a .psd file with spot colors by default.

Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi!

never had this issue in the past, if there were spot colors present, the option to save the file always had spot colors checked when saving.  i have found now if i do not manually check 'spot colors' when saving i will lose all hard earned spot color channels.  Is there a setting to where it will ALWAYS, by default, save spot colors?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot reproduce the issue so far. 

Which Photoshop version are you using? 

Which save-command are you using? 

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) and the dialog window visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ps 22.4.2

i have found it is the same with both 'save' and 'save as'

but...i think i may have figured it out.  i will update here if things change.

i always use 'actions' to save or save as.

my actions were saved from a previous version of PS.

these actions, of course, were created as 'menu items'.

the only thing i can figure is that the menu item 'code' was changed over versions.

we shall see!

thx, -john

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, you didn't mention actions in your OP... Please do report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»these actions, of course, were created as 'menu items'.«

Why?

Recording the saving and checking the »Toggle dialog on/off«-box would work, too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't reproduce this either.

If the doc has a spot, and the save format supports spots, it is always on by default. Even if it is unticked on purpose, it is on again the next time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

something is definitely weird....

i am not sure if it is something that has recently changed with a new version, or perhaps there is a corruption.

like you guys, the way i always experienced it when spot colors were present was when you saved the file, 'spot' and 'channels' tick boxes were present and if spot colors were present, it automatically had that checked.

i was sorta on the right track when i discovered i was using 'save' and 'save as' as ACTIONS-- and those actions were imported in from previously saved versions.  But now, when i save a file, the 'spot channel' tickbox is gone and it appears to be random that the spot colors get saved with the file.  1 out of 10 files will be saved WITHOUT the spot colors.

reinstall?  or is there a setting that i accidentally ticked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i have noticed another behaviour that has changed that might have something to do with it.

my workflow is usually this:

i have a file that is download, so it resides in the Windows 'downloads folder.

then i would work on that file and 'save as' to a different folder.

then with that same file i would make adjustments for my customer and then 'save as' that to a different folder.

when i close the file, it is asking me if i want to save the changes to the original file that was in the 'downloads' folder.

in the past, whenever i chose 'save as' and continued to work with that file, photoshop assumed i was working on the file that i 'saved as'.....confused....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines