Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

How to include commas in a Data Set - Photoshop

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am successfully using the Data Set to import a csv or tab document and generate the sequence of items in my list. I managed to use the double quotes to get them around my quote text.   "It works!" she said

BUT

there are missing commas as part of the text in my text quotes.

If I use the CSV and I include the extra comma (whether commenting it first or not with regular expression  \,   ) it fails to import.

If I import the tab-delimited txt, the commas do not show up at all.

HOW do I include commas in the values of my Data Sets?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019
HiPut the text with commas in quotes. See below:Dave

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Put the text with commas in quotes. See below:

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have added that if you want the text in quotes then you need to double quote but for some reason Photoshop will only parse it to give the leading quote with a space after the first (if you miss the space out the lading quote is missed.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Dave, here is a blogpost that I wrote about when I stumbled over this myself with a leading double-quote mark:

Prepression: Photoshop – Variables & Leading Double Quote Marks

If a Variable Data Set in Photoshop begins with a double-quote mark, such as:

“Totally Enclosed”

The opening double quote “ will be missing on the merged text in Photoshop:

Totally Enclosed”

To overcome this issue, the Data Set should use two double quote marks ““ – followed by the content and then closing with a single ” double quote mark.

““Totally Enclosed”

And then the text layer variable behaves as expected:

“Totally Enclosed”

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

Thank you!... I will credit you all the way.

I had tried this and many other ways ... but what I liked about your response was the simplicity of the test file, and that prompted me to mimic it and found that the way I was exporting the csv file was NOT properly formatted. I tried tab from scratch and all works now.

what I found out now, is that I lose my double quotes  ( " )   that are typical at the ends of a phrase. I am trying different ways to work with the csv format, but does not seem to work. IF I do it with tab-delimited way, then I can have double quotes ( " ) and commas ( , ) in the phrases. [BUT mind you, they must be double-double quotes. ""This, will work""]

Conclusion, use tab-delimited files instead, as they seem to have more flexibility and control. for commas and quotes.

THANK YOU.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, I'm glad it helped solve your issue.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just output the spreadsheet as tab delimited. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines