• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to keep layercomps connections after relinking smart object to a new file?

Enthusiast ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For example I have  a master file with one smart object  and layercomps 1 and 2.      The smart object is a linked psd file with also two layercomps A and B.      So the master file layercomp 1  is set to show layercomp A of  the linked  smart object  ,   And layercomp 2    to show layercomp B.

Now I have a third  psd  file having  also layercomp A and B.     I want to relink the smart object  inside my master file  to this new  third file the way   Layercomps 1 and 2  would  also show  layercomps A and B   of that new third file I've just re-linked to.

Is it possible somehow ?   Whenever I try to do it   the master file always lose its connections to layercomps inside a new file I am relinking to and I have to fix it manually. 

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your layers and layer comps the same order, name and visibility?

If you added, removed or changed layer order this can affect layer comp visibility when previewing a smart object.

I've never gone this hardcore with multiple linked layer comps inside a master PSD - does it make a difference if they are embeded instead of linked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, the order , name and visibility  are all same .        Weirdly  when I save file1 with another name  and even add an extra adjustment layer there  : File2.psd    the master PSD  recognize layercomps inside that "saved as" and edited file just fine , no problem at all.       But when I relink to a file4 which I created from scatch  and having all same naming , order and visibility structure   the masterPSD  looses all connections to file 4 layercomps.

I wonder why, is there any document data , maybe in metadata   that makes it work  with  another copy of same file created by "save as"  but doesn't work  with a document done from scratch?         

ps. no difference embedded or linked , it works same ,

ps2.    Well, I changed evrything in file2:  order , size , extra layercomps, extar layers, visibiility.   And it works inside master PSD just fine.   So it looks like  there is no problem at all if you relink to a file  "saved as"  from the original file1.     Still never works with a new file created from scratch  that I need  really.    

So what's this unique thing that makes Photoshop recognize a "saved as" file? 

ps3.  When I delete layercomps  in that saved as  file2 and create them again   it stops working for master PSd.   So my guess those layercomps  have a kind of unique ID or something  and this is only matter and a layercomp  name is not that ID.     The id is not shown but being recognised in master PSD .      Wonder if  it could be a workaround  , maybe through scripting or something that  could copy those  things to an new file.      Perhaps I should use color tags instead or something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its could be because your layer comp history didnt change in the link to the master when you save as. Even though you renamed, the connection is maintained.

When you create a whole new document, you will always have to establish the layer comp visibility the first time. There is no history in the connection contained with the new document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you are asking for could be a good feature request. You should post your idea in the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 16, 2022 Jul 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is appropriate place to post a feature request now?   I have so many, 🙂    I recall there was a special site for that  but seems nobody  really visited it among Adobe devs 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2022 Jul 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is now the right forum - just post under 'Ideas' rather than 'Discussions'

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines