Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to license post-creation?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I have made a composition that I am happy with and would like to license the images I used now....

I can't seem to figure out how to do this without having to remake the entire composition from scratch.... ie. the only place I see to license is through my saved library- but then it just downloads the full image to my computer.... I dont want to have to make my work from scratch again, is this possible? Like is there something I can do to just licence the entire composition with all the images I used?

Help!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

You're welcome, and I'm sorry to add into any thread confusion. I don't think there is a way to accomplish what you want to do without re-doing your composition. This will be a good learning experience for your future workflow. If you kept separate files for each element before placing them into your composite, it might be possible to do some swapping out with the high-res files to retain layer effects, so you aren't starting entirely from scratch. I know that I often end up with a result I love

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ps. here is my composition 🙂 

Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 4.58.14 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Venita23306593fvy1 

I'm not sure what you mean by "licensing an image".

Do you mean copyright?

https://www.copyright.gov/registration/photographs/

Do you mean for Adobe Stock?

https://stock.adobe.com/license-terms

Do you mean NFT? See this help page:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/identity-provenance-nfts.html

I also found this:

https://www.format.com/magazine/resources/photography/image-licensing

Or do you mean something else?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used stock images from creative cloud for my composition.... they are all watermarked, so I need to license them to remove that.... but i dont want to have to re-do everything I have already done...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ooh, OK.

Well...you could use the "Replace Contents" command if you right-click the layer but that only applies if you intitally placed the asset as a Smart Object. Otherwise, it sounds like a do-over situation.  : /

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Venita23306593fvy1 

To license images from Adobe Stock you need to purchase each and download the high-res version. You will find that the purchased version is much larger than the watermarked preview, so you will need to replace the old one with the new one.

You didn't show your Layers panel, but I assume you are working with Layers.

Yes, you will need to redo most of all of what you have done. It will go faster this time though. Be sure to make a Smart Object for each and lower the layer opacity as you are scaling to match the existing image.

You didn't state your use, but read the licensing to see what type of license you need:

https://stock.adobe.com/license-terms

Also note that some images are listed as "premium" and can be quite expensive. Watch for those.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding to what Jane said, it sounds like these assets you used in your composition...are not strictly yours? If not, ensure they are "royalty-free." (Minus any competitive compositions I've ever done, all the assets in my compositions are 100% mine, even the textures. Clears a lot of legal hurdles that way should I ever commercialize.)  xD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Venita23306593fvy1 It sounds as though you used various content (images) to make your composition (which is very nice, by the way). Now, you want to license the various images that are included in your final work. You'll need to do that with each individual content creator or stock photo agency, or wherever you acquired each image. Yes, even if you only used part of an image in your work, you must license or obtain rights to the entire image (as you say, “download the full image”).  Typically, an image license can't be broken up based on what part of it you use. Also, the license you purchase will depend on how you plan on publishing or using the composition. Even if you purchase royalty-free licenses, that type of license may not extend to certain commercial or resale uses you are planning. You don't have to remake the composition. Just license each image that is included in your final work. Does that make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you 🙂 

Thanks for breaking that all down- yes, this is why I want to license them- I currently have a subscription to license assets from adobe stock (where all the images came from)... but what I am trying to figure out is how to do that without having to re-do my composition- as they all have watermarks on them, because I hadnt downloaded them without the watermark prior to making it- if that makes sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, and I'm sorry to add into any thread confusion. I don't think there is a way to accomplish what you want to do without re-doing your composition. This will be a good learning experience for your future workflow. If you kept separate files for each element before placing them into your composite, it might be possible to do some swapping out with the high-res files to retain layer effects, so you aren't starting entirely from scratch. I know that I often end up with a result I love and then ask myself, how did I do that exactly? I'm not very good at taking notes myself, so this is a learning lesson for me, too, as I am doing more composites these days. Yours is an inspiration. I wish it was better news...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah ok, no worries. thanks for all the input and trying to help me find a way... Definitely a learning experience! glad I could inspire you and help you learn 😉   

Thanks everyone @jane-e  @War Unicorn 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Venita23306593fvy1 

Your image is beautiful!

All three of us who answered participate in the bi-weekly Photoshop Challenge, and I keep visualizing a reworking of some of these assets into the current desert scene. They would work really well. This challenge ends on Thursday evening.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/something-for-the-weekend-part-156-ho...

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks so much... I will take a look at the challenge, sounds like fun!

Cheers 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@J E L wrote:

You don't have to remake the composition. Just license each image that is included in your final work.

Jain, how do you accomplish this with Adobe Stock without redoing it? I've found (in SFTW) that the previews are so much smaller than the ones that are licensed. I often try a couple of previews before settling on the one I license. Maybe I'm missing something and working too hard!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jane-e I didn't see the reply from @Venita23306593fvy1 that says watermarked (i.e., low-res) comps were used before I wrote my reply! I'm sure you're working too hard, lol. But I was on a thread update delay in my response, and you are right. If using low-res comps with watermarks for a composite, chances are the end result in terms of resolution is not going to be great. I know when starting a composite idea, you may not want to license all the images in case they aren't used. But @War Unicorn brings up a great point about using smart objects with replace contents. But I'm not sure that would work seamlessly if small pieces of a larger image are extracted and modified extensively either before or after being placed into a new composite art board? I may test that one day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@J E L wrote:

I may test that one day!

I'll test it too!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines