• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to list the Pantone color codes in my artwork using Photoshop

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!  I'm hoping someone may be able to help me.

I do collage work, scan it and bring it into Photoshop where I digitally assemble the collages into final artwork. 

I am working with a new client who will be printing my artwork on handbags.  They want me to "specify the Pantone color codes for the artwork".  Is there a way to get a list of the PMS codes in a piece of art in Photoshop? If so, how do I do that?  Or do I have to bring it into Illustrator?

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure that I understand what you want to ask but let me try: you have Note toll in Photoshop which can be used to add non-printable notes with some instructions, for example.

Here is my tutorial which may help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bojan Zivkovic​ .  I see my question  was not very clear.  Sorry.  I'm wondering how to get a list of the Pantone colors in the artwork by using tools in Photoshop.  I know how to get the individual color codes by clicking on each area of the image, but it would be very tedious to produce a list of all the PMS codes in the image that way.  I'm wondering if there is a tool or process I could use to generate a list of all the PMS codes in the image.  I could then send that swatch or code list to my client in any number of ways.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you looking for Save colors as swatches or similar command from Illustrator? If I can understand your question correctly then the answer is no, Photoshop does not offer such option nor I know about plugin/script which can do same or similar job for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jordini  wrote

but it would be very tedious to produce a list of all the PMS codes in the image that way.  I'm wondering if there is a tool or process I could use to generate a list of all the PMS codes in the image.

Hi Jordini,

Adding to what Dax said about putting each PMS color into its own spot color channel, the word “all” jumps out in your sentence. How many spot colors are you using and why? Have you talked to the printer about how much this will cost? If not, this should be your next step.

[Aside to Dax: I saw your news video; you are a hero!]

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks jane-e​ ! We're trying to figure out a way to get my artwork - which has a lot of depth and many colors - onto his product (leather bags).  I typically work in Photoshop, but it sounds like I may need to have further discussions with the client and his printer about what is the best way to do this. 

Thanks again for all the guidance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should probably sit down with a Pantone swatch book. However, if there are many colours, more that 6 perhaps, it may be that your art work is not suitable for the printing process they plan to use. Work with the client or their print provider closely and discuss physical aspects and limits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jordini​ are you creating specific spot color channels in your files? If you are creating logos inside Photoshop that will be printed with spot color ink, then you want to make sure that you have the channels setup in your PS file. You can't just design and sample with the eyedropper and tell them what color. Each color has to be on its own channel. Just wanted to make sure you were aware. Typically Photoshop is not the normal tool for complex spot color printing.

-Dax

seps.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  This is very helpful.  No, I was not "creating specific spot color channels in my files" but that is really good to know. I'm self-taught and this is clearly new territory for me.  So I really appreciate the help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know the printing process that's to be used for this purpose – for example, screen printing or letterpress ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, though I have a request in for more info.  They are printing on leather.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's why I suggested you establish the printing process as this will define what's possible – printing onto leather will be probably be relatively crude. A lot of this kind printing is undertaken by foil blocking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I dont know if you still need it but try this: https://color.adobe.com/create/image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines