Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

How to make a simple extrusion without 3D features

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone! I've been a little behind on app updates, and to my dismay I just discovered after updating to 22.5 that 3D features are being discontinued. I'm not big into 3D, but I often used Ps capabilities to make simple extrusions of my smart objects. How am I supposed to replicate this now?

I looked into Dimensions but il looks like extrusion of vector objects was never implemented, despite popular request.

From where I'm standing it looks like to do something I've been doing for years, I would need to buy the Substance package, which is NOT included in the CC subscription... this is really not a good look, removing popular features to put them behind a paywall, after an already expensive service like the CC.

But ethics aside, how am I supposed to replicate the extrusions function other than staying on 22.2?

Thanks.

TOPICS
Cross-app workflows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can stick with the obsolete version, you can also try using Photoshop > Preferences > Technology Previews > Deactivate Native Canvas (and restarting). 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might also look into using Blender; it is free after all. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can:

a. Keep the older version of Photoshop installed alongside newer versions that are released in the future. The CC app allows you to keep older major versions installed.

b. Use a proper 3D application. Blender is free and has far superior modelling and rendering to Photoshop. I do use the 3D Substance applications for texturing, but still use Blender for modelling and rendering.

c. If you have a full CC subscription, then for simple extrusion you could look at Illustrator's 3D Extrude and Bevel effects.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'll most definitely keep 22.2 installed, even though it's a pain that I can't update 22.x until the next major version is out.

Your other suggestions are definitely viable, but not nearly as convenient as making the extrusion in Photoshop itself, already placed where it's going to be needed. Moreover, I don't see myself learning a full 3D application just for something like that (and tbh Illustrator extrusions kinda suck and aren't very customizable).

It's a pity that we lost something so useful just because Adobe is pushing their new 3D solutions.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines