Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to paint on a pixelated image

New Here ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm editing a screenshot from The Binding of Isaac, which has pixelated graphics, and I want to paint part of the image. The issue I'm running into is that when I paint, the brush stroke appears smooth:

Screenshot 2022-09-28 at 1.30.32 PM.png

Is there any way to "pixelate" the paintbrush so it paints more like this:

Screenshot 2022-09-28 at 1.47.01 PM.png

Normally I would resize the image so the "pixels" are the size of actual pixels, but there's a little bit of noise in the image that would be lost with that method.

Any help would be appreciated!

(I'm using Photoshop 23.5.1)

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this will work, but maybe use the pencil tool, rather than the brush tool. Also use shift to keep the stroke somewhat straight. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's closer, but the pencil is only a square shape when it's at sizes 1-3. Anything above that and it starts becoming circular.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you create a larger square brush for the pencil tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could probably do that, I was just wondering if there was a built-in way to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not that I'm away of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another idea, would be to duplicate the file, the reduce it to the pixel level to paint, then increase the painted layers to the original size and merge it back with the original. Hopefully, that way, you can keep the noise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines