• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to permanently change default file format from JPEG 2000 to regular JPEG?

Community Expert ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never use JPEG 2000, and I need to save my files as regular JPEG files. I have a thousand photos to process, and I'd rather not have to change the file type each and every single time. Is there a way to change the default file format to JPEG?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Jpeg will appear in the Save file format list  if  your file content can be saved directly in the jpeg format. That means a single background layer (not layer 0), 8 bits/channel, no transparency, no additional layers or channels.

If not use Save a Copy. 

If you want the old way back go to Preferences > File Handling and check Enable Legacy Save As.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, you can make action and do a batch process this will do all in few minutes...regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't to process them all at once. In the next couple of weeks, as I find the photos that I need to save, then I save them.  They are buried within folder (and are currently in a RAW format). Is there a way to change the Save As menu to be JPEG by default instead of JPEG 2000?

That's how it was for about 20 years, and now there is a different defualt and it's really slowing down my work.

I wouldn't mind using JPEG 2000, but InDesign cannot read a JPEG 2000, so I must save it as JPEG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Document Geek wrote:

I wouldn't mind using JPEG 2000, but InDesign cannot read a JPEG 2000, so I must save it as JPEG.

InDesign can read a layered Photoshop file.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jpeg will appear in the Save file format list  if  your file content can be saved directly in the jpeg format. That means a single background layer (not layer 0), 8 bits/channel, no transparency, no additional layers or channels.

If not use Save a Copy. 

If you want the old way back go to Preferences > File Handling and check Enable Legacy Save As.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No idea why Adobe thought making a process five steps instead of one was a good idea.  Going to change in preferences now.  And also, when I edit, for some stupid reason PS is now forcing everything to become a tiff file.  NO.  I want it to remain a jpeg...again, making more work.... thanks for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sarah ann smith 49465343 wrote:

No idea why Adobe thought making a process five steps instead of one was a good idea. 

Apple changed their API and forced Adobe to come up with a new plan.

https://petapixel.com/2021/05/18/photoshops-save-as-function-has-changed-on-mac-heres-why/ 

for some stupid reason PS is now forcing everything to become a tiff file.  NO.  I want it to remain a jpeg...again

If you have a jpeg open and then make changes that are not supported in a jpeg (layers, bit-mode, SOs, et cetera, Photoshop will try by default to save it in a format that supports those features. If this is happening to you and you don't understand it, you can show us a screen shot that includes your Layers and History panels. We may be able to help you sort it out.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.... it makes sense.... but before you could work in layers, then just "Save As" to a jpeg, which automatically flattened/whatever it is called.  Very simple, now more steps.  At least I knew from working in Ai that Export might help.  I will, like legions of others, retrain myself to use Save A Copy.  Don't know what API stands for but I'll keep slogging away...thanks for your answer. It helps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sarah ann smith 49465343 wrote:

Don't know what API stands for 

You're welcome, Sarah,

I had to look up API when I heard people start slinging it around!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/API

"An application programming interface (API) is a connection between computers or between computer programs. It is a type of software interface, offering a service to other pieces of software. A document or standard that describes how to build or use such a connection or interface is called an API specification."

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  I figured it had to be something sorta like that only I kept thinking advanced not application.  That makes sense then.... I keep reminding myself Apple usually does this to protect us (and their market share) no matter how annoying it gets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One option is to setup default export options and use Quick Export. Another option, a script can default such settings:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/save-as-jpeg-again/td-p/12650865

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Quick Export.  Or File > Export > Export As.

PS-export2x.jpg

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks... I'll look for "quick export" and see if I can set it up with my favorite settings as default!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just be aware that Quick Export strips the embedded color profile and there's no way to retain it. That alone renders it useless to many people (including myself).

Export display color management is also currently broken. It won't affect the finished result, but it doesn't display correctly in the Export dialog.

So all this considered, I still stick to Save For Web, which may be obsolete, but at least it works as it should. It also has the advantage that it works in actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

On the web sRGB is all I ever use.

Print is another beast.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines