• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How-To: Photoshop Smudge Effect on Images ?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

A Photoshop newbie here, appreciate any help and guidance from the expert! 

Just wondering how would i create such an effect on an image!. I believe it is a smudged effect which is a cool way to transition from the image to white space/background to write some text. It will be used for posts in Instagram or Facebook. effect.png

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Seems like the effect of Layer Masks. 

To create it you could try using a randomized, scattered brush or look for stock images that provide structures you like. 

Screenshot 2022-04-22 at 08.24.07.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Some screenshots concerning a randomized Brush: 

Screenshot 2022-04-22 at 08.50.24.pngScreenshot 2022-04-22 at 08.50.29.pngScreenshot 2022-04-22 at 08.50.39.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

By putting multiple Layers in a Group with the Blend Mode »Normal« one can use a Knockout-Layer with Fill 0% one those. 

By using a Linked Smart Object one can use the same Knockout in multiple files and, if onechanges the SO itself, update it the next time one opens the layered images. 

A Library Smart Object may be more convenient for placing, though. 

Screenshot 2022-04-27 at 08.38.26.pngScreenshot 2022-04-27 at 08.39.18.pngScreenshot 2022-04-27 at 08.41.09.pngScreenshot 2022-04-27 at 08.41.40.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like the effect of Layer Masks. 

To create it you could try using a randomized, scattered brush or look for stock images that provide structures you like. 

Screenshot 2022-04-22 at 08.24.07.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some screenshots concerning a randomized Brush: 

Screenshot 2022-04-22 at 08.50.24.pngScreenshot 2022-04-22 at 08.50.29.pngScreenshot 2022-04-22 at 08.50.39.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @c.pfaffenbichler 

Could you please send me the settings of the brush? It seems I could not reproduce similar to your effect...

And

would it be possible to achieve this through a layer mask, therefore, it does not destruct the actual image?

Thank you 

YouElz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2022 Apr 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a foggy black splotch on white and create a brush tip (Edit > Define Brush Preset) from that. 

Then you can apply Shape Dynamics and Scattering (similar to what the screenshots show) and save a new Brush with those settings. 

would it be possible to achieve this through a layer mask, therefore, it does not destruct the actual image?

That’s the point and the screenshot in my first post on this thread should show that the Layer Mask does not affect the Layer’s original pixel content. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@c.pfaffenbichler  Great, thank you I believe I achieved what I am looking for...

Screenshot 2022-04-25 215018.jpg

Now, another question please; 

so I have the layer masked set up the way I wanted to appear.  

How can I apply the same mask over other images without losing the effect, or recreating the mask again? In some pictures, I would like the mask to apply vertically and some are horizontal, at different lengths and widths. is it possible? just to avoid rework.. 

Screenshot 2022-04-25 215018- 2.jpg  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many options … 

I would recommend to apply the Layer Mask to a Group and put the images in the Group. 

If you need to use it in many files you could create a Solid Color Layer (though you may want to make the hidden side of the mask proper black) with the inverted Mask and use it as a linked Smart Object or put in in the Library tu use as a Knockout. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry @c.pfaffenbichler 

You lost me there! 

For the below instructions, would you have a guide or video that you can point me to please?

"If you need to use it in many files you could create a Solid Color Layer (though you may want to make the hidden side of the mask proper black) with the inverted Mask and use it as a linked Smart Object or put in in the Library tu use as a Knockout. " 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By putting multiple Layers in a Group with the Blend Mode »Normal« one can use a Knockout-Layer with Fill 0% one those. 

By using a Linked Smart Object one can use the same Knockout in multiple files and, if onechanges the SO itself, update it the next time one opens the layered images. 

A Library Smart Object may be more convenient for placing, though. 

Screenshot 2022-04-27 at 08.38.26.pngScreenshot 2022-04-27 at 08.39.18.pngScreenshot 2022-04-27 at 08.41.09.pngScreenshot 2022-04-27 at 08.41.40.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much @c.pfaffenbichler 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines