• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to rebuild lut into a curve adjustment layer?

New Here ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I currently have got some .cube lut files. For more control when color grading, I want to have the LUT in a RGB Curves adjustment layer. How can I do this?

This idea has been done in different programs, there is the video:

https://youtu.be/PmqlveoAiJ4

Thank you.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bojan Živković 

What @Tuna5D34 requires is the opposite, a way to convert the .3DL file into an .ACV, or to manually recreate the effects of the LUT as a curve preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bojan Živković 

What @Tuna5D34 requires is the opposite, a way to convert the .3DL file into an .ACV, or to manually recreate the effects of the LUT as a curve preset.

By @Stephen_A_Marsh

Depending on the LUT that could be impossible. 

Unless the OP provides the LUT it seems difficult to provide meaningful advice. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on the LUT that could be impossible. 

Unless the OP provides the LUT it seems difficult to provide meaningful advice. 

By @c.pfaffenbichler

Quite possibly so, however, as curves are required and the curves will be tweaked, it is all going to be "close enough" compromise rather than perfect.

I'm interested to see what the LUT is, my test was rather simple, based on the TensionGreen.3DL preset.

The simple answer is to just have the LUT adjustment layer in place, then add a curves or other adjustment layer on top and make minor tweaks, understanding that this is a compromise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tuna5D34 

I have a working prototype conversion workflow... It is convoluted, so you really need to have need to do this!

Is the LUT file a standard Adobe .cube file? If so what is it's name?

If not, can you provide a download link for testing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After testing on another LUT based on film processing, there are more major differences in the conversion than the original LUT.

Therefore, the simple and perhaps best answer is to just have the LUT adjustment layer in place, then add a curves or other adjustment layer on top and make minor tweaks, understanding that this is a compromise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To me it seems impossible to recreate the effect with one Curves Adjustment Layer. 

If it was created in Photoshop I suspect Hue/Saturation played a role in it, what with cyan and green being basically absent. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I get the same poor result, it appears that the more complex the LUT, the less well it converts to a curve. Something simple like the TensionGreen.3DL is "easy enough" to simulate, but this Godfather.cube has more going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines