Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to remove reflections in windows in interiors after the shot with Photoshop

Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys

Looking for a way to remove reflections from a glass window/wall of a meeting romm inside a building.

As you can see from the test shots, there is loads of reflection from behind, left and right side too.

My question is, what advide do you have for processing it further in Ps in order to reduce or even eleiminate the reflections?

As a side note: While shooting I did experiment with different angles, a polarizer filter, but the results have not been pleasing too. So if you have in addtion some ideas it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

I think you would be way better off taking those pictures again. A polarizer filter only helps in reducing reflections, but will not completely eliminate them.

There are a lot of tricks and tips on how to deal with reflections in interior spaces and a good ressource may be this post (among others):

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

I guess I like a challenge @thatsmauri...

@juergenb84151248 You could use selection tools, layers and masks to isolate the window panes and paint the neutral wall colors over the reflected areas.

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1682022982412.png

kevinstohlmeyer_1-1682023633772.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you would be way better off taking those pictures again. A polarizer filter only helps in reducing reflections, but will not completely eliminate them.

There are a lot of tricks and tips on how to deal with reflections in interior spaces and a good ressource may be this post (among others):

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, will have a look at the post linked in your anwser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I like a challenge @thatsmauri...

@juergenb84151248 You could use selection tools, layers and masks to isolate the window panes and paint the neutral wall colors over the reflected areas.

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1682022982412.png

kevinstohlmeyer_1-1682023633772.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin,

which blend modes would you recommend for the brushes/paint job and layers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@juergenb84151248 no blend modes - straight up painting and blending with masks to fit in the open window areas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very good, Kevin.

The thing is, anything is possible - if you're willing to put in the time and work. AI notwithstanding, there is usually no automagic button.

If you do choose to shoot this again, it should be possible to turn off all lights in the room in front of the glass. Or use big sheets of black fabric to shield.

Polarizers should always be in the camera bag, of course, but it only works at a narrow range of angles around 45°. At 90° head on it has no effect, unless you use cross-polarized light. Then you have polarizing film on the lights as well as a polarizer on the lens - and those two are rotated at right angles to each other. Then it will kill virtually all reflections, as well as several stops of light overall. I use that for art repro (I work at an art museum).

cross-polaf.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks for your anwser. much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines