Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to saturate/edit parts of a photo

Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG_7267.jpeg

 

hi there, can you please tell me how to increase the colour saturation/edit a certain mask (the parts circled red) - specifically in this case, I have created a new layer/mask of the food in the bowls on the screen, but there doesn't seem to be any way to only edit the colour of the food since it currently looks a bit washed out. can you explain how please?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you have the food on a separate layer and isolated (I can see the transparency around the food items. You can also select them and make a layer mask to isolate them). 

Next, I would suggest adding a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer. Click on the middle icon at the bottom of the Layers panel and select Hue/Saturation. The adjustment layer will affect all layers below it unless you clip it to just the food layer. To make a clipping mask with the adjustment layer, select the Hue/Saturation adjustment layer and go to Layer > Create Clipping Mask--you can also Alt (Windows) or Option (macOS) + click between the adjustment layer and the layer below it to create the clipping mask.

Then with the Hue/Saturation thumbnail (not the layer mask for it) selected, go to the Properties panel (Window > Properties) and drag the Saturation slider to the right to increase the saturation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey thanks for your comments! i followed your steps however, I cannot seem to only adjust the saturation of the layer mask I have created a clipping of. 

as you can see, I followed your steps and tried to move the saturation slider and unfortunately it is saturating everything, not only the food bowls.

what do you advise please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unclip the bowl layer, then clip Hue back into bowl. Ps doesn't support nested clipping, but it should. 

Or you can also tap ctrl/cmd-U to add a Hue adjustment as a smart filter to the Bowl layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey sorry i don't know what you mean "unclip the bowl layer" - would you mind explaining what this is? sorry beginner in photoshop so I don't know what any of this means.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

cmd-U worked! but can you please explain what this is I have done without using hotkeys?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines