• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Slim a dog's body/Cleaning up of shadows on background paper

Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Does anybody know how i can slim a dog's body naturally and clean up the slight shadow on the background at the bottom of the dog? (It must look natural and sharp as it's a studio photo)

[Moderator note : Images deleted at poster's request. Please do not post images for which you do not own the rights]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Engaged ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1st of all, that's a verrrryyy cute dog pics!

How adept are you with Photoshop? Beginner, intermediate.

To slim the dog's body naturally I'd suggest you use the Liquify filter and selectively & very gently "nudge" the areas in that you'd like to slim up a bit. I'd suggest you "freeze" (there's a tool to do that in that on left side of the interface) areas surrounding where you want to nudge/move content so you don't distort or affect them. Then you can unfreeze them (diff. tool) when finished. Neither image looks particularly chubby. So not sure where you want to slim it. I've never tried the facial recognition tools (right side of interface) on an animal... but you might want to experiment with that too.

If you want to generally slim the whole dog - vs. selected parts - you could go into the Camera Raw Filter & down to the Optics section and adjust the Aspect Ratio a bit - just slide the slider different directions to taste.

Another option for slimming is to use Content Aware Scale. You can either use it globally on the dog or select portions of the dog to do the scaling on (moving it in or out).

To get rid of the vignetting in corners at bottom of the image you could start by trying a Content Aware Fill using the Custom vs Auto option. To ensure you only have it grab content from the brighter yellow area. Make your selection of the vignetted area you want to remove then go into the Content Aware Fill interface. You could also sample from the color background you prefer and paint over the vignetted areas (I'd suggest a lower flow brush if you go that route).

If you're a rank beginner then I'd suggest you Google tutorials for those tools online.... And, I'm assuming it's your image or free stock photography with no licensing limitations and you have the right the noodle with the images... Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your reply! No i do not want to slim the whole dog, only the body. I want to slim the dog like the dog with clips to make it more even. I tried your  freezing and nudging it with liquidify but it really doesnt look good on the fur texture.  I also tried content aware scale but i couldnt get it to work for me.

[Moderator note : Images deleted at poster's request. Please do not post images for which you do not own the rights]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Content aware fill for the background doesn't do a very good job. I do not want to sample and paint it on as it's really difficult to go in between all the fine fur on the dog's body and it doesn't look natural.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Have also tried another method of selecting and masking the subject, and cleaning up the background before bringing the dog back, but it looks particulary unnatural too. You can see the background define the edge of the dog. Help! 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you create a Selection around the dog that captures the hairs (in Select & Mask) then Invert it that should create a "barrier" that you can't paint over into the dog. Then, sample and brush paint.

BTW, is this just a hobby that you're taking pics of your dog(s)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it's a hobby. This is what i mean when i say painting doesnt look natural as it select and mask cannot grab all the extremely fine hairs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you selected too much of the color and too close to the dog. If you're in the Custom option withing Content Aware Fill you should be able to select just some areas of color you desire. And, don't try to do too much at once. Just do the left side of the dog 1st. Then the right side. The light will be different on both sides....

You can also experiment with selecting one of the vignetted areas at a time and then adjust the Curves for that area.

How did you get so much vignetting you want to remove? Is it a really inexpensive lens with bad vignetting qualities?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean like this? The shadows are from a reflector put beside the dog to bounce light.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm. Seems like a white reflector would add light and not darken. Do you have a light you can shine on the backdrop to keep that brighter (when you shoot)? Depending on the angle of your key light and reflector you could be casting a shadow on the backdrop that you don't want. And, be sure the dog isn't too close to the backdrop to cast that shadow - at least 3-4' in frt of it.

Even pro retouchers can only do so much with hair & fur.... then they have to fake it and paint back in hair and/or fur to make up for what gets lost in selecting. Sometimes they create custom hair/fur brushes in addition to painting in indiv hair elements....

I don't know if you know how to create a custom brush. There are tutorials online. So if you grabbed a section of fur from the right side of the dog & created a brush with that & ditto for the left. If you lose some of the detail cleaning up the background then you can brush that texture back in. If you grab a few different spots it won't end up looking too uniform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reflector added light to the dog, but since it was placed near the backdrop, at a 90 degree angle almost. The shadow was caused.. There are space contrainsts in a home studio enviroment so i can't move the dog 3-4ft away and light the background seperately, so im looking for a method to clean up the background. After all, i do want to learn how to clean up the background properly and naturally too. 

I do know of using custom fur brushes to paint fur on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If i shot it without the reflector, there is still bound to be a slight color difference that requires cleaning up either way 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

The key is to use a large brush in Liquify. 

Here is your image with the filter applied. I used a 50-pixel brush and placed the brush so the middle of the brush outline is over the edge of the dog's fur, and gently moved it in a little bit at a time.

Then I used Color Range to select the outside area:

Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 1.33.51 PM.png

After I had my selection, I feathered it by 3 pixels and sampled the yellow color at the top of the image, and on a duplicate image, I used the Fill with Foreground Color (Option+Delete) to fill the area and get rid of the shadow at the bottom.

Here is the end result:

Let us know if that work for you,

Michelle

[Moderator note : Two images deleted as original poster did not have the rights to use the image and requested they be deleted]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Thank you for your reply! Your tip of putting the middle of the brush outline is over the edge of the dog's fur, and gently moving it a little at a time helps! But you do really need to be VERY careful with the fur looking weird.

However the color fill just did not work for me. It made the dog stand out really unnaturally unfortunately!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad the Liquify tip helped. You might look into Select and Mask to select the dog and then clean up the background. That tool would be perfect for making the selection. 

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, agreed! I suggested that above too as a way to segregate the subject and clean up the background....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey guys, please believe me when i said i have tried select and mask, and color fill and it really doesnt look natural. 😞 (Look at the bottom edge of the dog's body) Any other ways?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines