• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to stop Photoshop from adding new placed smart objects to library?

Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest PS installment. I'm pretty sure this didn't happen before, but now each new smart object I place is automatically added to CC Libraries and I can't for the life of me figure how to disable this feature.

As a result, my laptop lags (just now it freezed and was waiting for something in Libraries) and the cloud is full of useless unimporant pieces of graphics. 

Any ideas? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

To make sure: Are you talking about placed SO (File > Place …) or pasted ones? 

The dialog for pasting SOs clearly features a checbox for »Add to my current library«. 

Screenshot 2020-06-10 at 17.10.45.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you actually looked at the dialog that appears when pasting external content in Photoshop? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To make sure: Are you talking about placed SO (File > Place …) or pasted ones? 

The dialog for pasting SOs clearly features a checbox for »Add to my current library«. 

Screenshot 2020-06-10 at 17.10.45.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thank you. That's the thing, I have seen this dialog so many times I didn't notice the change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is it enabled by default? The libraries panel shows up in many apps from time-to-time, especially after you update to a new version - it's just happened to me in Photoshop after disabbling it sveral times over the years.

We need a CC-wide way of disabling CC Libaries for all apps, forever - as in, never show a libraries panel in any app, for any reason, ever again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I 100% agree. CC Libraries are dumb useless and annoying. The perfect example of how big corp destroys everything. because CEO says "I like smart libraries i'm the boss" (while consistently not fixing 5-10 year old bugs)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2022 Sep 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC Libraries are dumb useless and annoying. 

What is your reasoning here? 

You do underestand that you do not need to use them if they are not useful to you? 

while consistently not fixing 5-10 year old bugs

The Cache Level 1-bug comes to my mind in that timeframe (or thereabouts), which other Photoshop bugs are you referring to? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@csscms wrote:

Why is it enabled by default?

"Why" is a different issue from "how", and the "how" has been marked corrected here. One answer might be "because that's how Adobe programmed it".

(I am a volunteer and do not work for Adobe. My opinions are my own.)

The best thing to do is start a new thread and label it "Ideas" instead of "Discussions". The product team will see it and others who are like-minded can Upvote and add comments.

I've seen the default for "add to library" checkbox in other Adobe applications change from checked to unchecked and am always happy when it does. User feedback is essential.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is ridiculous. I've disabled this SEVERAL times and from time to time Adobe just decides to ignore what I put before and re-enables it.  But I do not notice the change and now my library is FULL of items I did not, and never wanted to be added to my library. 
SUPER FRUSTRATING!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is ridiculous. I've disabled this SEVERAL times and from time to time Adobe just decides to ignore what I put before and re-enables it.

Well, you may want to ask yourself under which exact circumstances this happens. 

Can you reproduce the issue? 

Is there any possible relation to updates (Photoshop, OS, drivers, …), other applications, …? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes. here are the circumstances.

1. I realize that my library has become overrun with everything that I've pasted into photoshop from other applications over the past several months.

2. I do a google search as to why

3. I uncheck 'Add to my current library'

4. Delete all the unnecessary items in my Library.

5. Relax for an unspecified amount of time when I notice that my library is being filled up again

6. realize that OH NO, PHOTOSHOP HAS DEFAULTED BACK TO HAVING 'Add to my current Libary' checked.

7. Library fills up AGAIN.

8. Realize that by deleting those smart objects from my library means that they don't open in the PSD file that I've given to my client, who is now coming at me complaining that their files are broken.

9. Rage quit and angrily post on Adobe Forums hoping that SOMEBODY is listening and changes this feature and Adobe just honor my preferences to NOT add everything to my library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that is a rant and seems to do nothing with regard to actual trouble-shooting. 

4. Delete all the unnecessary items in my Library.

Linked Smart Objects refer to linked files, so what did you expect deleting the objects you had placed as linked Smart Objects previously would do? 

6. realize that OH NO, PHOTOSHOP HAS DEFAULTED BACK TO HAVING 'Add to my current Libary' checked.

Apparently this has not happened for many other Photoshop users so that’s the »point« you should have been focusing on. 

Is there any recognizable pattern?

Did any updates, crashes, preferences resets, … precede the reset of the pasting behaviour? 

Did you check if the Library objects you deleted might still be available? 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/creative-cloud-services-discussions/how-do-i-recover-an-asset-i-delet...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not expect deleting them to delete the linked Smart Object as that was never anything that I asked for.  I've always had the Smart Object contained in the PSD file.  I never turned on this feature, and despite me having turned it off it keeps turning on again when a software update happens. 

Now, I'm ASSUMING it's an update that caused this. It all happens in the background, so i can not say for sure (so before you tell me to check these settings whenever an update happens, i have no idea).  Do I have time to "troubleshoot" in the official sense of the word? No. I just want the preferences that I set to stay set. 

I'm all for progress (I've been using Photoshop since version 2 before there were layers) - but pushing features - like this and the 'automatic save to Adobe Cloud' is offputting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyway, you may want to start by disabling the automatic CC updates. 

And it seems you may not have fully familiarized yourself with Smart Objects, otherwise the cloud icon in the Layers Panel might have given you pause before deleting the Library objects. 

Have you checked our the »deleted« page of your account yet? 

Otherwise you may have to try to find (if the files from which you originally copied still exist) or recreate the destroyed elements; depending on whether transformations, filters, … have been applied you could, as a work-around, also extract the pixels pf the respectively largest instance of a SO, saving that and using that to Replace Contents. 

Screenshot 2022-04-22 at 08.01.45.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is an accurate description of how the software you are hired to defend is malfunctioning and behaving in a manner that annoys all users except those getting paid by adobe, be it developers or community managers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@MADPILOT1 wrote:

It is an accurate description of how the software you are hired to defend is malfunctioning and behaving in a manner that annoys all users except those getting paid by adobe, be it developers or community managers. 

What are you talking about? 

I am not an Adobe employee, I voluntarily participate on this Forum and how is the software malfunctioning exactly? 

Are you confusing »malfunction« with »something I don’t like«? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2022 Oct 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its simply filled with bugs. no need to elaborate all the bugs and user annoyances to you. just look through the whole forum and you have all your answers. yet a few fanboys always seem to voluntarily defend all adobe apps as if it was their sacred god 🙂  all the best! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2022 Oct 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

edited

Please forgive the outburst. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines