• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to update a ScriptUIGraphics object?

Advocate ,
Mar 07, 2013 Mar 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've been able to use ScriptUIGraphics, but as far as I've seen there's no way to update / change any object, nor it seems possible to call the onDraw() handler but once if it contains either fillPath() or strokePath() - which usually does.

For instance, the following test script pops up a panel with a red square in it. Fine. When you click the "Try" button, the onDraw() is fired again and should draw a smaller square, but stops with a very informative "cannot execute" error at some point within the onDraw():

// ScriptUI graphics update issue

// resource string

var winRes = "dialog {  \

text: 'ScriptUI Graphics test',  \

margins: 15, \

alignChildren: 'row', \

\

canvas: Panel {  \

preferredSize: [200, 200], \

properties: {borderStyle: 'black'} , \

}, \

buttonsGroup: Group{ \

cancelButton: Button { text: 'Cancel', properties:{name:'cancel'} }, \

tryButton: Button { text: 'Try', properties:{name:'try'},size: [40,24], alignment:['right', 'center'] }, \

}, \

}"

// Window

var win = new Window(winRes);

// define the graphic property

canvasGraphics = win.canvas.graphics

// do the drawing

win.canvas.onDraw = function() {

// creates a red filled square

canvasGraphics.newPath()

canvasGraphics.rectPath(10, 10, 200, 200)

canvasGraphics.fillPath(canvasGraphics.newBrush(canvasGraphics.BrushType.SOLID_COLOR, [1,0,0,1], 1)) // HERE

}

win.buttonsGroup.tryButton.onClick = function() {

win.canvas.onDraw.call()

}

win.show()

When you run it, it works as expected; if you click the Try button, an error is fired when the script gets to the line ("HERE" in the code), that is: when it comes to fill the path.

Strangely enough! Because it doesn't seem to be a problem with the onDraw second call (apparently the second square path is constructed, but can't be filled).

Am I doing something wrong here? Should I first delete the original square (how?!), or somehow initialize it again? Are ScriptUIGraphics immutable somehow?

--- Update ---

Further experiments led me to understand that onDraw() (so the whole drawing) seem to be called just once - when the Window is shown. I've tried to remove and rebuild the canvas Panel altogether, but its own new onDraw() is never called - nor an explicit call works. Apparently you can't invoke win.show() again, nor hide and show it. Ouch!

--- ---

Thanks in advance for any suggestion

Davide

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Mar 07, 2013 Mar 07, 2013

It seems the trick is to switch from a Panel to a Custom component, which allows you something like:

// do the drawing

win.canvas.onDraw = redraw

function redraw() {

canvasGraphics.newPath()

canvasGraphics.fillPath(canvasGraphics.newBrush(canvasGraphics.BrushType.SOLID_COLOR, color(), 1)) // HERE

}

win.canvas.notify("onDraw")

}

It now works,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems the trick is to switch from a Panel to a Custom component, which allows you something like:

// do the drawing

win.canvas.onDraw = redraw

function redraw() {

canvasGraphics.newPath()

canvasGraphics.fillPath(canvasGraphics.newBrush(canvasGraphics.BrushType.SOLID_COLOR, color(), 1)) // HERE

}

win.canvas.notify("onDraw")

}

It now works, but the component respond to all kind of events (mouseover, mouseclick), and I haven't been able so far to use successfully .preventDefault()

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I do not understand what do you really want (because of my bad english)

Try to change the bg color of the panel in the dialog box by clicking on button? Something like this?

// resource string

var winRes = "dialog {  \

text: 'ScriptUI Graphics test',  \

\

canvas: Panel {  \

}, \

tryButton: Button { text: 'Try', properties:{name:'try'},size: [40,24], alignment:['right', 'center'] }, \

}, \

}"

// Window

win.canvas.graphics.backgroundColor = win.canvas.graphics.newBrush (win.canvas.graphics.BrushType.SOLID_COLOR, [1,0,0],1);

win.buttonsGroup.tryButton.onClick = function() { // change the graphic background property by click on Button [try]

win.canvas.graphics.backgroundColor = win.canvas.graphics.newBrush (win.canvas.graphics.BrushType.SOLID_COLOR, [0,0,1],1);

}

win.show()

Script_Dialog.png

???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 08, 2013 Mar 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi pixxxel schubser,

I'm afraid this is not what I meant, possibly I haven't chosen the best example: you can easily change properties, but the problem is that when you draw graphics (ScriptUIPath objects) inside a component (in my case a ScriptUI Panel), you're not allowed to stroke or fill them but once, when the Window is drawn - that is, the .onDraw() function is triggered by the win.show().

Unless - I've discovered - you use a Custom component:

canvas: Panel { ...

// become:

canvas: Custom { ...

this, plus the handler I've written in my second post, actually solves the problem.

Davide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you post final code, as when I replace wrong part in your original one to that you marked as correct it doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am wondering if a workaround has been found to counter this "bug" ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2022 Jul 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Finally, I was able to write code that works in this particular case.
Here it's :

#target  photoshop

function color () {  return  [(Math.random()),Math.random(),Math.random()] }
// resource string
var winRes = "dialog { \
text: 'ScriptUI Graphics test', \
\
canvas: Custom { \
}, \
aSlider: Slider { properties: {minvalue: -50, maxvalue: 50, value: 50}}, \
}, \
}"
// Window

var theColor; 
var rColor;
var theNewColor;

canvasGraphics = win.canvas.graphics;

// do the drawing
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
win.buttonsGroup.tryButton.addEventListener ('click', function (e){    
rColor = color();
return rColor, win.canvas.notify("onDraw")
});
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
win.buttonsGroup.aSlider.addEventListener ('change', function (m){
rColor = color();
return rColor, win.canvas.notify("onDraw")
});
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
win.canvas.onDraw = redraw;

function redraw(event) {
with ( this ) {
canvasGraphics.drawOSControl();
canvasGraphics.newPath();
canvasGraphics.rectPath(10, 10, 200, 200);
//
if ( event.mouseOver ) {
if ( rColor == undefined )   canvasGraphics.fillPath(canvasGraphics.newBrush(canvasGraphics.BrushType.SOLID_COLOR, theColor, 1))
else   canvasGraphics.fillPath(canvasGraphics.newBrush(canvasGraphics.BrushType.SOLID_COLOR,rColor , 1)) 

} else {

theColor=color();

if ( theNewColor == undefined ) theNewColor = theColor, canvasGraphics.fillPath(canvasGraphics.newBrush(canvasGraphics.BrushType.SOLID_COLOR, theColor, 1));  
if ( rColor == undefined && theNewColor !== undefined)   rColor= color(), canvasGraphics.fillPath(canvasGraphics.newBrush(canvasGraphics.BrushType.SOLID_COLOR, rColor , 1));
if ( rColor !== undefined && theNewColor !== undefined)   canvasGraphics.fillPath(canvasGraphics.newBrush(canvasGraphics.BrushType.SOLID_COLOR, rColor, 1));

}
}
return   theColor, rColor ,theNewColor;
}
win.show();

I don't know if another coding approach in order to resolve the problem exists. Would be happy to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'myObject.notify("onDraw")' is the real take-home lesson here. It evens works on icon buttons.

The docs say that the notify() method of a button accepts only 'one of: onClick, onChange, onChanging'. It says nothing about onDraw, but it works, and is simpler than other solutions I've seen discussed. Absolute gold!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read about it in JAVASCRIPT TOOLS GUIDE you access from one before last item in 'Help' menu of ExtendScript ToolKit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes, so there it is… an obscure (but very helpful) mention on page 164. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines