• English
      • Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

How would I select this squirrel to include the tail fur that stands out?

Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having trouble including the fur above his tail.

As a related question.  Can a mask mde in Camera RAW be made into a slection?

Thanks,

BGB_5846-DXO11-std-SAI.jpg

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the "select object" method doesn't have enough squirrel-based samples in it's A.I. database, I guess it's back to good old magic want and lots of painting on layer masks. I'm not sure, since I use ACR like once a year, but if I'm not mistaken you should be able to append the mask as a custom channel. There must be a button somewhere. Then again I could totally imagine it...

Mylenium 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if Select Focus Area would work well on this image?  I think at least some manual masking/selecting will be needed, this looks challenging for any automatic process.

George F, Fine Art Landscape Photographer

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you are using the AI masking in Adobe Camera Raw and it isn’t good enough on hair, you might need to use it in Photoshop where there is a Refine Hair option. This can take three clicks with Select and Mask  in Photoshop. One click to open Select and Mask, another to click Select Subject, and a third to click Refine Hair. (Changing the mask View Mode is optional but useful.)

Photoshop Refine Hair squirrel.gif 

If the hair selection is still not good enough, you can go in and work it manually in Select and Mask, using a combination of the Radius/Smart Radius and the Refine Edge Brush tool which is designed for difficult edges.

As a related question.  Can a mask mde in Camera RAW be made into a slection?

By @mangurian

It is not possible to convert an ACR mask to a Photoshop mask. Hopefully they are working on that, we don’t know. But one thing you can do is open the raw file in Photoshop as an ACR Smart Object, and you can run Select and Mask on that.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines