• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Huge Temp files created by Photoshop 2020

Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I am having a weird problem since the new update.

I am working on a poster file, 100cm x 70cm, 300 dpi, the way I usually work witn no problems. I finished the design last week and now I have to change some stuff.

I updated Photoshop yesterday and things started to get weird. I open the same file, which before worked flawlessly and now after a few operations I get the scratch disks full message. I have 400 GBS of free space in the hard drive and in the Temp folder I find 3 HUGE 64gbs temp files created by Photoshop. And after a few more actions more and more appear.

It all worked fine 2 days ago and now Photoshops keeps itself busy filling up my hard drive for no reason. Again, all was fine, the file works fine in other applications on older installations of Photoshop in the other machines. I updated nothing in my computer except the Adobe apps.

Any idea?

Windows 10 latest upate, 64gb RAM, dual Xeon, lots of internal hard drives.

Thank you in advance.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

i'm working on Mac, OS X. New Photoshop making folder 'Photoshop' neer working file with temp files. After work app delete this temp files, but 'Photoshop' folder stay on disk, and i must delete it manually. I try, and it working same way on another computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having exact same issue. 600+ GB filled with temp files. Most of them are 63.9 GB each. Never happened with older Photoshop versions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Just reading through this thread and it's recommended to turn on Legacy Compositing in preferences

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop-2020-issue-temp-files-filling-scrat...

image3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is something fundamentally at fault with PS History States. In order to try to stop PS from filling up my SSDs and crashing with my 50GB+ files, I’ve tried setting History States to 1. I’ve tracked disk and temporary file usage while editing, and, despite History States being set to 1 (of course with PS re-started), I still see the number of 64GB temporary files creep up - 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ... until it crashes! PS is simply not re-using (or rotating) the same temporary files!? All the temporary files get removed when PS is closed. So setting History States to 1 only gives one history state but PS still creates a series of history state files - the worst of all worlds!!

My current “work-around” is simply to save and exit PS every couple of steps - which is absolutely diabolical and slow!

I’ve tried v22.11, 22.10. These give me the slowest - unworkable - performance! The only version I’m using now is 21.2.4 with Legacy Compositing. This is much faster that the more recent versions - so Adobe has gone backwards in this regard!

I'm a software engineer (over 20 years). Adobe developers should be easily able to recreate and resolve this problem...? This problem is dragging on and on because Adobe developers are simply not reproducing and testing this - either that or they are using non-standard PCs with hundreds of GBs of RAM - where they never encounter this problem. But even this is bad testing because they should test with similar hardware. Tip: use a "normal" PC with 8-64 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 60+ GB file. It's not rocket science!

My setup: 64 GB RAM, 2 x 1TB SSD, 8 cores, 3GHz processor, Windows 10 (latest).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @michaela17564404 

Thanks for the infor a nd tips!

Are working directly on a network-server or extralnal SSD or on your desktop to recolcile later.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines