• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can no longer save jpegs and none of my icons are visible - I want the previous version back!

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm starting to panic because I have no idea how to get round the changes that have appeared. I am no expert but I've been using PS for years to make pretty basic changes to raw files, save as jpegs and upload to my online shop.  I can no longer save as jpgs, and the file icons no longer show in finder.  The files are no longer downsizing to the size I choose as they used to.  I am totally lost and have no idea how to get things back to the previous version. Help!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to return to the previous version, you can. Here's how:

However, it sounds like your update wasn't set to Import previous settings and preferences. For future updates, you can select that option either when you manually update Creative Cloud apps or when you're in the Updates section of the Creative Cloud Desktop app, you can click Manage auto-updates, click Advanced options, and select it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Myra - thank you so much for your reply.  I'll try what you've suggested and report back. Much appreciated! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've uninstalled the new versions and re-istalled the previous versions of the apps I use, but one thing hasn't changed back. When I've finished working on a raw file and click to save it as a jpeg in my chosen folder, it used to then automatically convert the file format to .jpg on the screen. However, now, it remains as a .cr2.  Is there a way to revert to the previous format as that is what is most useful to me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please describe step by step what you are doing, and illustrate it with screenshots or a screen recording, because what you say is technically not even possible. Photoshop cannot save a file as .cr2. It can open a .cr2 file in camera raw, but saving an image as raw is not possible.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I worded it badly!  Here are the steps I'm referring to:

- open an image in raw and edit.

- click 'open' to open it in PS.

- resize and make any other changes.  Image still named .cr2

- click 'save'. Save as jpg in the folder where I want it. << At this point, previously, the image name in the PS screen changed automatically to .jpg.  Now, it stays as .cr2. So if I want to access the .jpg file I have to go to the folder where I've saved it and open it.  Previously, I didn't have to do that as it was already altered to a .jpg on the screen. 

I hope that makes sense!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is normal that the image is still named xxxx.cr2 when it is opened in Photoshop. The image hasn't been saved yet, and Photoshop doesn't know what file format you are going to use to save it. It is not normal that Photoshop would still use .cr2 when you actually hit 'Save'. What should happen depends on the edits you've made. If you did not add layers, then Photoshop can save the image as jpeg, but only when your Camera Raw preferences say that the image should be send to Photoshop as an 8 bit image, so check that. If the image is 16bits, or has layers, then Photoshop can't save the image as jpeg, because jpeg does not support that. It should then suggest PSD or TIFF,  not keep CR2 because it can't save an image as CR2.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Johan - yes I understand that it opens in PS as .cr2.  It's at the point where I click to save and save it in the format I want (.jpg).  Until the update yesterday, saving as a .jpg was automatically reflected in the file name for the image in PS where the file is open, after I'd saved.  Now, that open file stays as .cr2.  That's never happened before.  No layers, just the usual edits exactly as I've always done. It is saving as a .jpg, but the saved version is not in my PS screen.  So I have two files instead of one.  A saved .jpg in the folder I saved it to, and a .cr2 still open in PS. 

Now that I've uninstalled the updated versions and reinstalled the previous ones, I'm going to try shutting down and re-opeing again to see if it's a result of all the re-installation changes not picking up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like what I have already explained: your image is sent from Camera Raw to Photoshop in 16 bits, so Photoshop can't save it as jpeg. What is does is save an 8 bits copy as jpeg, and keep the 16 bits image open as 'unsaved'. That is why its extension is still shown as .CR2. You need to go to the Camera Raw preferences and change how it sends the image to Photoshop.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using "save as" or exporting? I prefer Save As

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is some troubleshooting advice:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Perhaps try resetting Photoshop preferences?

(read this entire post before acting please)

Resetting restores Photoshop's internal preferences, which are saved when Photoshop closes.

If they become corrupt then various issues can occur.

Here’s some info on how to do that:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Manually removing preferences files is the most complete method for restoring Photoshop to its default state: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually

The user Library folder is hidden by default on macOS.

To access files in the hidden user Library folder, see here for how to access hidden user library files.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html

Unexpected behavior may indicate damaged preferences. Restoring preferences to their default settings is a good idea when trying to troubleshoot unexpected behaviors in Photoshop. check out the video

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#reset_preferences

Learn how to access and modify Photoshop preferences and customize per your frequent workflows

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

And here’s an earlier forum discussion as an aid to understanding

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-reset-photoshop-pre...

You may want to backup your settings and custom presets, brushes & actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences.

Here is general info about that:  https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#BackupPhotoshoppreferences

I hope this helps

neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'

google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines