• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I clicked don't save by accident

Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I lost hours of work just because little accident while I was painting, clicked on ctrl+s then selected no.

I know there's is no solution for this just to cope with the pain losing hours and hours by software that you consistently paid monthly.

I think there's should be a way out for this, a company of billion dollars should have had in the first place.

So once again please photoshop please do an update regarding this problem.

Thank you

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Yes, W (close) and S (save) are close to each other on a QWERTY keyboard.

You can disable or reassign the keyboard shortcut for close or close all (Edit > Keyboard shortcuts).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always advise saving as you go, rather than at the end of hours of work, and if your work is really important use incremental filenames i.e MyFile001.psd, MyFile002.psd.....etc. That way you are protected against your own errors, we all make them, as well as a crash. You can always delete the increments later.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davescm wrote:

...and if your work is really important use incremental filenames i.e MyFile001.psd, MyFile002.psd.....etc. 

Dave

Just adding to this, there are various scripts to automatically create sequential/incremental saves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @AMIR26346783zpnv I understand the pain of losing work from a mistake. However, what solution would you propose beyond the confirmation window you already get when you save or close a document? Another window stating "Are you sure?". Not making light but not sure what you are expecting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make saving file just like autosave but it require a file window up to 1 hours or so. 

Confirmation windows isn't really effective in my opinion, rather than helping it's more like quick time event where one misclick all would be gone gone. And in my case I misclicked ctrl+save and and my pen tablet is on screen making paint strokes not knowing I just clicked "bye bye don't save". 

A little update just as autosave like that I think would be very helpful!

Hi @AMIR26346783zpnv I understand the pain of losing work from a mistake. However, what solution would you propose beyond the confirmation window you already get when you save or close a document? Another window stating "Are you sure?". Not making light but not sure what you are expecting.

By @kevin stohlmeyer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As @mj pointed out if you are saving to the Cloud not local it does do intermittent saving automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make saving file just like autosave but it require a file window up to 1 hours or so.

By @AMIR26346783zpnv

This can be achieved with a script for Adobe Bridge and Photoshop. Bridge has to be running and it will "count down" and then trigger Photoshop to save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Consider saving to the to creative cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I lost hours of work just because little accident while I was painting, clicked on ctrl+s then selected no.

By @AMIR26346783zpnv

When I am working in a PSD and do CTRL+S, I do not get a dialog asking yes or no — Photoshop simply saves my file. What file format are you working in that you even get the question?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jane-e I have a feeling it was when they went to close and it asked if you wanted to save. If you hit "no" the document closes and you lose the work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kevin stohlmeyer 

We need clarification from @AMIR26346783zpnv. He said "clicked on ctrl+s then selected no." I thought he might have been working on a JPEG for hours and doing things that are not supported by JPEG, but we won't know until he tells us, will we?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happen when I paint on the file which I haven't saved yet. It just so happen that I clicked ctrl+s by accident.

It's not JPEG it's an untitled_1 fresh new file. I forgot I working on new project, always thought  autosaves does everything but not on new file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

correction, It's not ctrl+s it's another keybind that closes file which I accidentally clicked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, W (close) and S (save) are close to each other on a QWERTY keyboard.

You can disable or reassign the keyboard shortcut for close or close all (Edit > Keyboard shortcuts).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Out of all comments I think this one is the helpful one.

• Like really 70% of these comments just don't understand what I'm talking about and just throwing these shades

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 13, 2023 May 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Indeed, the best answer is: don't type the wrong keys. 🤔

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know there's is no solution for this just to cope with the pain losing hours and hours by software that you consistently paid monthly.

I think there's should be a way out for this, a company of billion dollars should have had in the first the first place

By @AMIR26346783zpnv

Can you provide the name of any software product that doesn't do what you asked for (no, do not save despite what I just selected)? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's latest photoshop version of 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the reality.

Every single person on this forum has lost work.

That's the nature of computing.

If we take this to it's logical conclusion, we'd have multiple dialogs that will ask "Are you sure you don't want to save?"

How frustrating that would be.

If it saved despite you saying no, folks would also rightfully upset because there would be tons of untitled files causing clutter on your device.

What do you propose is the solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try to change the settings of the file handling?
Windows: Choose Edit > Preferences and choose the desired preference set from the submenu. macOS: Choose Photoshop > Preferences and then choose the desired preference set from the submenu.
 And go to the file handling

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines