I need help understanding the options in 'export as"

Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to send images to a local photo competition & would like to ensure the color remains as I see it (as much as is possible).

I use ProPhoto color space but I am required to send the file as a jpeg using sRGB.

In 'export as' I have the option to convert to sRGB but it also has a tick box to embed the color profile.

What happens if I tick both boxes?  Does one cancel the other out?  And if so which is dominant?

Thanks for the assistance.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022
Thanks, Bojan. Yes, Diesel, you need to check both. They do different things. "Convert to sRGB" remaps the numbers into the sRGB color space. "Embed color profile" embeds the sRGB profile into the file. The file should always have an embedded profile. From what you write, I would recommend that you don't use ProPhoto. It's a very dangerous color space to use if you don't understand the implications. It absolutely requires full color management at all times, and any profile conversion needs...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi just use what you want as single all will be ok convert to sRGB which you want orginal remain same...regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sRGB is smaller color space then ProPhoto that is fact. I will tag @D Fosse who can provide you with most accurate information about colors and color management and how to best handle it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bojan, I'm very grateful

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Bojan.

Yes, Diesel, you need to check both. They do different things.

"Convert to sRGB" remaps the numbers into the sRGB color space.

"Embed color profile" embeds the sRGB profile into the file. The file should always have an embedded profile.

From what you write, I would recommend that you don't use ProPhoto. It's a very dangerous color space to use if you don't understand the implications. It absolutely requires full color management at all times, and any profile conversion needs to be watched to avoid unexpected clipping. It also requires that you always work in 16 bit depth. ProPhoto should never leve your computer.

If these files come from Lightroom, change it in Lr Preferences > External Editing.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, that is exactly the info I needed.

You are all very kind to the techo challenged and I'm very appreciative

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are separate things, but you should always check "embed profile" no matter what you are doing. 

Convert to sRGB changes the colours to be valid in sRGB. "Embed profile" is like putting a label on the file saying "by the way, this is sRGB". Without embedding the profile, the computer has to guess and could guess wrong.

Converting to sRGB may change the colour, but only if the colour is impossible in sRGB - the competition is limiting you - but since the files will probably be viewed by people who couldn't see ProPhoto on their computers, that's to be expected. You should recheck the sRGB file after making it - this test can only work if you embed the profile.

I assume you are working with a monitor that you have calibrated yourself - if not the colour could be wildly wrong and you'd never know.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I'm very grateful for your reply

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why use "export"?
How about making a copy (archiving the original in ProPhoto) and converting the copy to the significantly smaller sRGB so you can see what that conversion does, detail can be lost in areas of high saturation, it's best to preview that by observing the image changes after conversion, rather than just converting during export.

You can see what's been clipped using the levels pallet clipping display. If the data "washes up" against the edges then data has been clipped

To remedy this, you MAY wish to do a little targeted dasaturation so that your image survives the (potentially clipping) conversion to the much smaller colour space of sRGB.

Such issues as clipping on conversion are the reason why ProPhoto is quite an "expert" colour space. 

Then save the sRGB copy for your club. 

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: Co-Author:Getting Colour Right
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good plan - thanks very much for your help!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines