image data still stored when image is saved with layer mask

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not really sure if it's a bug at adobes pov but for me it is.
The scenario is the following: I have an image that should get a transparent area. When I select this area in photoshop, use a layer or vector mask (doesn't matter) and save/export the image (tested with "saved as", and "save for web") as *png I noticed that the filesize is quite big or even the same as without the mask - which shouldn't be the case since I have less image data. When I upload or view the saved image in a file explorer, everything seems fine (except for the file size), the transparent space is as it should be BUT when I use for example PHP (or similar tools) to render the image I suddenly receive the whole image without an applied mask, meaning that the transparent area is not transparent anymore. This explains the big file size - the image data is still there.
When I don't use layers and destructivly remove the area it works like it should. The file size is smaller and the image is rendered correctly in PHP.

Version/App: Tested Photoshop CS6 and current CC 2022 (windows).
Test-File: Doesn't matter. Tested it with multiple images on two different systems, result is always the same.
Expected result: The moment I hit "save" all layered masks should be stored in the same way as if I used a destructive method. Resulting in no "hidden storage" inside the file and just the plain image as I see it. Yeah, there is stuff like meta-data that is also stored but that's nothing in terms of filesize and at least I have options to store/delete them when saving.

If this is no bug but an intended feature I wonder what's the point of it. When I re-open the saved (faulty) *png I have no way to return the mask because it's a plain *png. Additionally I have this large file size that can be huge, depending on the area I cut out. I really see not benefits for the user but the opposite.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the layer mask is applied you need to make a selection of the object by ctrl or cmd clicking on the layer thumbnail in the layers panel, then Select>Inverse and Edit>Cut or Clear.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, that's what I mentioned in my post above. This is a destructive method and it works as a workaround but I already knew this 🙂
1) what is the point of using a destructive method after a non-destructive method that doesn't change anything visually?
2) It doesn't change the fact that this behavior is a bug since it's not something the user would expect or want (as also described in my post).

You could however explain to me why this isn't supposed to be a bug.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines