• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image looks completely different when it opens in Camera Raw

Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone help me understand why my image looks completely different in camera raw? I'm fine with how it's shot, then I open it, it opens in camera raw, and looks terrible!! All blown out and contrasty!! And that's the way it stays when I open it in Photoshop. What's going on? I'm attaching a sample... Camera Raw is on the Left, Bridge view (and how it looked on the back of my camera), is on the Right.

Shooting with a Nikon D700 and using the latest versions of PS and CR. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 5.43.59 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

What are you shooting in your Nikon--sRGB? It looks like the profile in your picture is Adobe Color and that could be the difference in what you looking at.

Here is an article by Julianne Kost on the Camera Raw profiles that might be helpful: https://jkost.com/blog/2018/04/adobe-camera-raw-april-update-raw-and-creative-profiles.html

Also, here is a help doc about Camera Raw profiles that you might find interesting: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/camera-raw/using/adjust-color-rendering-camera-camera.html

Let us know if these help to solve the issue, or if you have any additional questions.

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a camera issue. And yes, I always shoot in sRGB. The image looks fine on the back of the camera as well as in Bridge. It's not until I open it (it automatially opens in Camera Raw), that it looks blown out and basically, just awful.

Thanks for your feedback...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say, 'It looks like the profile in your picture is Adobe Color, and that could be the difference in what you're looking at.' Should it not be Adobe Color? That's the default. I never mess with stuff within PS or CR, because I don't understand it all. If not, what should it be (instead of Adobe Color)? My camera is def set at sRGB.

www.laurielphotography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I agree with mglush, I think the issue is due to a profile mismatch.

Please check your color setting and color workflow:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/color-settings.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 10.29.43 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-30 at 10.33.59 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My camera says it's set to sRGB... so I'm not sure why the Embedded Profile says Adobe RGB. I'm confused...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An obvoìously double check or reset camera raw settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I reset Camera Raw settings. I don't see an app for Camera Raw. It's within Photoshop. I'm on a mac btw.

It's weird. I've been doing photography for 20 years, using Camera Raw, and this has never happened to me B4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can access Camera Raw settings either directly within Camera Raw (via being invoked in another app like Bridge) or using Photoshop (Edit on PC) > Preferences > Camera Raw on the menu bar.

Something's up with your flow. Usually, Camera Raw opens RAWs with your camera's settings, but a profile from Adobe is being applied. (i.e., It shouldn't be "Adobe Color.") For example, any of my untouched Fujifilm RAWs open up with the standard "Provia" setting (this is Fuji's own built-in RAW profile). I forgot what it was from Nikon but they definitely have their own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But in Camera Raw... there isn't even the sRGB option (like my camera is shooting in)

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 12.02.11 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You!  If it shouldn't be 'Adobe Color'... what should it be? As you can see from my screen shot... there is no sRGB even available...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sRGB is a colour space, as is Adobe RGB and ProPhoto RGB. Each of those colour spaces can be described by an ICC colour profile. Those ICC profiles have nothing whatsoever to do with the list of "profiles" in Camera Raw which are effectively "looks" designed to give a starting point for your camera raw adjustments.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh! Thanks for that information! Obviously, I don't completely understand the difference between color space and profile! Can you tell me what I should have the color space as, and, what I should have the profile as? Again, I've never messed with those things... and my images have always come out great. I'm just at my wits end! I know it all has to do with my work flow and color spaces (at least I think so), but I haven't changed anything... yet this just started happening.  And, it's only when I shoot RAW, which is only when I'm outside. In studio, I always shoot jpg because my images come out perfect with my camera settings I use. Ugg... I'm so frustrated! All this help is wonderful, but I still don't have the problem fixed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The camera raw file is just a matter of choice, as it is only a starting point. Personally I like Adobe standard , or Adobe color depending on what I am shotting - but I always go on to adjust the sliders.

The colour space affects the image when you go into Photoshop. Adobe RGB is slightly larger than sRGB i.e can contain more colours, so is good for images you intend to print. It retains more of the image colours particularly in the saturated greens than sRGB.

If your final output is always the internet though, the slightly smaller but safer space is sRGB. You can convert to that smaller space later if you need to do both.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I understood in the past the back of  your camera shows the embedded jpg and camera-raw the real RAW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's right. This has nothing to do with color profiles or color settings.

This is the difference between the embedded camera-generated jpeg, and ACR's initial, default value rendering. You're supposed to use the sliders in ACR to get the result you want.

These are two completely different processing engines, so they will always be different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been shooting with this camera for years, and the settings haven't changed. What has changed is the various upgrades to Photoshop. I don't understand why this is 'all of a sudden' happening. It was never the case in the past 20 years for me...

I appreciate your feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

A few things have come up in this thread.

1. Opening in camera raw does not match the camera preview. 

It is not supposed to. Opening camera Raw, is just a starting point from which you adjust the controls. Adjust them well and you will get a much better result than the camera preview. You can set a default profile that is close to the camera but that does not matter, it is still just a start point. Note though that those camera raw 'profiles' are completely different and do a different job to the ICC color space profiles embedded in an RGB document - see below.

2. You mention your camera is set to sRGB. That is irrelevant to raw and only applies to jpegs from the camera and any jpeg saved with the raw file. For the raw conversion it is ignored totally.

3. When you have adjusted your raw file using the camera raw settings then it opens in Photoshop and uses the colour profile that you set in camera raw preferences. It is in those camera raw preferences that you choose whether to open in sRGB or the wider Adobe RGB color space, or the much wider Pro-Photo.

4. The warning that a document has an embedded profile that differs from your default working space is just that - an informational warning. Just use the embedded document profile and carry on.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm used to my images coming out very nicely when I shoot. This is a completely differnt (obviously). My tones should be even and not look over saturated and blown out in areas. Again, this is the first time I've had these issues. Normally, the image comes out looking great... on the back of my camera, in Bridge after downloading, and in CR. I rarely have to make any adjustments...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much initial difference you see depends on the type of image. Again, these are completely different processing engines, and they are not supposed to match. And you are not supposed to just accept the initial rendering in ACR. The sliders are there for a reason. Use them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the sliders. But... my image looks TERRIBLE! As mentioned, been shooting for 20 years and have NEVER seen this happen. I know how to shoot to make my images come out good SOOC. I understand the need for the sliders to fine tune. But this is WAY more than fine tuning. The images are taking 30 mins to 'try' fixing. I normally spend about 30 seconds in CR doing fine adjustments with the sliders. And, using the sliders isn't fixing the image so that it looks good...

Thank You for your feedback! I appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start with the Highlights slider. I can't "fix" the image for you, but that looks like the obvious place to start:

overexposure.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I'm doing... Tks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? 

New to PS and Camera Raw, and having this issue straight off the bat. When I view the photos in Windows Photo Viewer they show all the detail you'd expect from a raw image, but in Camera Raw they look awful and so much detail is lost. I'm afraid I barely understand most of the replies here about colour profiles and things. Did you find a solution?

Screenshot 2023-03-30 081848.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines