• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image Processor is flattening my originals

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using the Image Processor in Scripts in Photoshop to batch flatten my layered PSD files. Usually this would result in my originals staying layered, and a folder with flat jpegs would be created in that same folder. Now, the originals are being flattened, so I no loonger have my layered originals! I studied the Image Processor pane, but I can't find anything different about the boxes I have checked. I did recently upgrade to photoshop 22.5.1. I am on a Mac, running Catalina 10.15.7

I have been able to work around by copying my originals to a separate folder, just for processing, so it doesn't matter if they get flattened in the process, and I still get my folder of flat jpegs. Any suggestions?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021

Your screen capture shows you are indeed running an action from your default action set  action named flatten only.  Please expand all the steps in that action and make sure it does not have as save step that would overwrite you PSD with your layer flattened into a background layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running an action from within the Image Processor?

Can you provide a screenshot of the Image Processor with your settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, no I am not running any additional action, as far as I know. I just want the files to be flattened and saved as jpegs so I can make my clients a pdf of my work (storyboards). Here is a screen shot of the pane that opens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screen capture shows you are indeed running an action from your default action set  action named flatten only.  Please expand all the steps in that action and make sure it does not have as save step that would overwrite you PSD with your layer flattened into a background layer.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here is the dropdown. I understand that jpegs can't have layers, but I assumed that was why pane has the default to flatten only (to accommodate the jpeg format). You seem to be saying that I can uncheck that action. I'll give it a try. I never had to change the defaults before though. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image processor does not have any default Action it runs.   By default the image processor does not run an actions. All the Action you show are your actions in some action set you named default.  I have no Action set on my system with]]] the name default

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, JJ Mack, I tried it with that default unchecked (no flatten only action) and it worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes your action flatten only must have a save step.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image processor and the image processor pro plug-in scripts  save as steps are programed to save new files not to overwrite any existing files.  If the an output file the script want to save exists. These scripts will not overwrite that file these scripts would add a unique suffix serial number to the document's name and save the file with the generated unique suffix. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello JJMack, thanks for the reply, there are a few typos, so I am not sure if I am following what you are telling me, but if you are telling me that it won't overwrite my files because it is saving them with a new suffix (.jpeg in this case), I realize that is how it is supposed to work, and has worked for me previously, but all of the sudden I found it has flattened my psd files, in the process. Which is not proper! I don't know why. The only thing I can think of is that I did upgrade to 22.5.1

Maybe this version of Photoshop is not compatible with my OS Catalina 10.15.7?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this version of Photoshop is not compatible with my OS Catalina 10.15.7?

Photoshop 2021 (version 22.x) is definitely compatible with, and supported by Adobe, on Catalina. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have always used the image processor in its "default" settings, but previous to upgrading to 22.5.1, I never had this issue. I wondered if perhaps the pane has changed slightly, and I need change the info to prevent files from being flattened. It does default in the bottom preferences section to run action, flatten only, but because I am have the files saved as a jpeg, this should not overwrite my PSD files (I would assume). JJ Mack is suggesting that this action of flatten only is not needed, becasue jpegs don't accept layers, but I thought that was why the flatten only action is the default. I can try it without that checked and see if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did not configure Image Processor dialog to save a PSD so it would not save a PSD you action must have a save step which will overwrite the  PSD the image processor opened and your action flattened.  No Action is even required,  Jpeg file forat does not support layer  just have the Image processor save a jpeg. That is  all you need to configure. Photoshop Save As will automatically flatten the saved Jpeg file the document will not be flatten the encoded jpeg will be flattened. If an action did a save the PSD saved would be layered.   If the jpeg exists Image Processor will not overwrite it. The Image Processor will add a suffix serial to the document name. Yes I can not type.

image.png

image.png

Image Processor does not overwrite any file. It only saves writes new files.

Here is its PSD save code

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines